ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:09 am 

Easy and simple question, should the post workout protein shake be taken with milk or water?

Water tastes absolutely disgusting, but it's far less uncomfortable than the workout I just did so it's not much of a problem.

Milk obviously makes it taste better, but I find I have a digestive sensitivity to dairy foods so I try to avoid them. Is it worth putting up with a little flatulence in order to get a better post workout shake?

Also, what sort of a serving is recommended? I usually have about 30g of an 80% whey powder. I know the 80% one isn't so good, but I got a really good deal on them and it's hard to find protein powders at a reasonable cost where I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:09 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I drink mine with water all the time. I used to drink them with milk when I first started taking them as I found it disgusting with water but I no longer taste it, just knock it down the hatch.

I wouldn't bother with milk if I were you, sounds like you may be lactose intolerent. I can't remember where I read this, but I apparently you can be lactose tolerant as a kid, then develop an intolerance to it as you get older - hopefully others will be able to expand on that...

As for my post work out shake - I have a 'mass gainer' which basically consists of Whey Protein and Oats. I get about 40 grams of protein and 40g of carbs out of a normal shake. Sometimes I bump it up to 50, not for any particular reason other than there's plenty left in the tub.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:22 am 

In my workouts I always go with water. It tastes abosolutelly disgusting but I don't gain needless calories since I already eat other food. It is recommended to have at least one glass of milk a day. If you would like that to be mixed with protein then that would be fine. But if you already have it then just skip it. Also if the discomfort of the milk impedes on the workout then have it during another time of the day or take calcium and a good multivitamin. Thats in my best opinion.

When I'm in my 'cycle' I go with 25g beforehand and 25g afterwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:27 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I heard something recently about soy protein developing breasts in men?...I don't use supplements, but only because access to them is limited in my particular prison. When I'm out, however, it would be good to be educated. Just curious if anyone knew anything about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No it doesn't. I think all that stuff about certain foods raising the estrogen levels is BS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:10 am 
Novice
Novice

SKIM milk people. SKIM. It's not that many calories to worry about, and its more protein of course...

If I was taking it DURING a workout though, that would be tough.

I don't think it's the best idea to take it during a workout. I figure I'll let my body digest and grow after the workout, not during. Gimme my body's full blood/attention to lift. I'll stick with just water during lifting thank you, unless someone's got some good evidence/experience...

BTW, choose a whey protein with lactase to aid digestion :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:49 am 

I don't know Ironman. I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, but there is enough literature for me to stay away from soy products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:21 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

I'm w/ Hoosegow. I don't think a glass or two a day of soy milk is going to hurt anyone and might be beneficial, but concentrating it; well, lots of literature on that , so I won't totally discount it. Also, as to estrogens, I know a few older ladies (my age) that have been through various cancer treatments, and the doctors recommend they staty away from anything that could promote estrogens, in particular wheat and soy. I'm not about to tell everyone they promote it, but from reading the literature and hearing those gals Doctors opinions, I, personally stay away from soy and minimize any wheat products.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hoosegow wrote:
I don't know Ironman. I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, but there is enough literature for me to stay away from soy products.

If it is true there should be a big rash of guys with gynecomastia. I can't believe it until someone SHOWS ME THE BOOBS! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:19 pm 

Just go to any Jr High or High School, lots of man boobs floating around these days, Obesity is an epidemic right now, and with it ciomes man boobs.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:14 am 

TimD wrote:
Just go to any Jr High or High School, lots of man boobs floating around these days, Obesity is an epidemic right now, and with it ciomes man boobs.

Yeah, it must be all the soy protein, soy milk, and tofu they're scarfing down. If they only knew...
:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's just fat. It's not gynecomastia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:34 am 

School food is filled with soy protein fillers. Girls are entering puberty earlier and earlier. I make my 9 year old girl take her lunch. Like I said Ironman, I am not saying I totally buy into the soy estrogen thing, but there is enough evidence out there that I would rather be safe than sorry. You may be 100% correct and it might be the nutritional myth equivalent to the Swiss ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:08 am 

I'm not sure I buy into it totally either, but soy is composed of phyto-estrogens, which by definition, mimic the properties of estrogens. Same goes with wheat and other glutens. I'd seriously watch the volume if you have concerns on estrogens.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Girls reach puberty early for 2 reasons. One being better nutrition. The second and most recent one is obesity. Which is partly because of estrogen receptors in fat cells.

Of course I'm sure her packed lunches are much healthier than the crap they serve at schools.