ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:26 pm 

Of course there won't be carbs in pure alcohol... In beer there is though which is what I was referring to.
http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php
Wine will be ok if you have a glass and 1 or 2 shots of liquor would be fine.

Kidney Damage: In that study all the people were given a very moderate amount of protein. But there are people who will conume 330 grams of protein day in and day out. That will destroy a kidney. You do not need 250 grams or more of protein thats a ridiculous amount. There is no person on the planet who requires that much protein. Most of that protein will get converted to glucose. http://weighttraining.about.com/od/nutritionforweights/a/muscle_diet_4.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, you can't drink most beers while cutting. Micholob Ultra and Ultra amber are fine as is Miller light, Amstel Light, and it seems to me 1 other brand too. They are low carb/calorie and still taste good. But you should only have 1 or 2 at a time. A little liquor before hand to catch a buzz.

The highest protein intake studied was 2.8g/kg which caused no problems. There is no proof that excessive protein will do anything but make you crap more. At least for people with healthy kidneys. The only studies showing damage were with people who already had existing kidney problems. So if you have a kidney problem, it can make it worse. If you don't, it's not a problem. Some people do require 250 grams of protein or more. I am a fairly big guy, I need 250 to grow. I'm back to cutting and weighing in at 208 and I'm only 5' 11". 250 isn't much more than 1g/lb for me. Which if you will look at a previous post, the foremost experts in bodybuilding nutrition say 1g/lbs minimum, 2g/lbs max.

Then there are guys like Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler who have a contest weight just shy of 300 lbs. These guys have been known to get up to 350 off season. Not to mention they take high doses of very potent steroids which cause a lot of growth. They could need as much as 700 grams per day to maximize gains.

Some extra protein is converted to glucose if your on a low carb diet. Some is just crapped out. With higher carbs your body doesn't need to convert it, so it just gets crapped out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:48 am 

Ironman wrote:
Yea, you can't drink most beers while cutting. Micholob Ultra and Ultra amber are fine as is Miller light, Amstel Light, and it seems to me 1 other brand too.

Guinness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:47 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, why I might like to believe you can drink beers while cutting (and I love beer), I have a tendency to drink more than 1. I'd advise against it. What has worked for me in the past in regards to alcohol, was to designate 1 night a week and have a few beers or a couple of shots. I prefered the shots as it didn't seem to cause the basic beer bloat the next day or two. I swear, if I sit down, have 3 or 4 beers while watching the tube, I'll get up the next morning with about an inch and a half to inches on my waist due to the bloat factor. Yes, it drains right off the next day, but it is ucomfortable. Plus, like was mentioned earlier, alcohol, while not having carbs or fat per se, does contain 7 cal per ounce. Thats for just alcohol. Beer, now your adding in carbs on top of that. I guess you could always do what a buddy of mine did, and go on a Polish 7 course meal diet. Have a 6 pack, a Polish sausage and a vitamin pill, and you have all bases covered..
For Stu- Guiness, well, that is good stuff, but I would guess most Americans would have a problem with it as they aren't used to drinking motor oil.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:58 am 

One other thing (serious now) about alcohol. Ironmaiden mentioned it earlier, is about the wine on a daily basis. I've seen numerous Dr's on TV and read the reports, and it seems that about 6 oz of wine/day, done w/ meals seems to have a oreventive effect on the heart. They think it may thin out the blood a bit and be fairly healthy. In particular, they're speaking of the red varieties over the white. Seems that the skins have certain phytochemicals in them that promote this. It just might be a good idea to have a small glass some of the later meals. I've also heard that it might help w/ digestion.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:15 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

TimD wrote:
I guess you could always do what a buddy of mine did, and go on a Polish 7 course meal diet. Have a 6 pack, a Polish sausage and a vitamin pill, and you have all bases covered..

I'm half Polish, so I usually content myself with 3 beers and a polish sausage.

TimD wrote:
For Stu- Guiness, well, that is good stuff, but I would guess most Americans would have a problem with it as they aren't used to drinking motor oil.

It's not motor oil! It's more like...peat moss ground up in a blender. And it's only 10 carbs in 12 oz from draught, if the websites I've found can be trusted. On my current sub-60 carbs a day plan, I can still down a pint of Guinness...that's sounding pretty good right now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:29 am 

pdellorto wrote:
TimD wrote:
I can still down a pint of Guinness...that's sounding pretty good right now...

There is something wrong here ... you can 'down' a pint of guinness :D

I get full up after a couple of sips, I can't imagine 'downing it'. Where I live, Beer is classed as a basic nutritional substance and exempt from things like price rises :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:47 am 

So true Daniel. When I lived in Germany, I took a friend of mine from the states down into Bayern, then into Oestereich. Lots of "white" beer made wth wheat floating around down there. I guess it came down through the years when the monks made it as a food combined w/ a bevrage. Kind of makes "liquid lunch" a favorable thing.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like Guinness quite a lot. It does have like 10 carbs each though. That's a little much for cutting. I would think it would spike insulin, but I don't know for sure. I drink Guinness a little on a bulk though. I love the dark beers, but I had to give them up since they are so fattening. Generally once a week I'll have a Scotch on the rocks and follow that up with a couple beers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:05 pm 

Yep, nothing puts on a gut faster than regularly dinking several beers. Once a week is more than enough for me. Years back back, a friend of mine wrestled on our college team, had a logging background, and weighed in at the 191 lb class at 6 foot and was ripped. He busted up his back one summer (he was setting chokers and the log he was choking swing around and smacked him). He spent the rest of the summer convalescing and was doing a 6 pack a night. Up to 230 with a major beer gut in just 3 months time. Yeah, I think if you like beer one every night or so might be alright, or once a week. I do like a little wine with dinner though. My Dad got me into that years ago, for health reasons, and it seems to be doing hi well. He's 83 now w/ no heart problems whatsoever.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:12 pm 

I believe from what I read on a website with in the last few days, that beer has a low GI so it shouldn't spike insulin. Anyways I got a grampa who is a diabetic and I believe thats one of his favorite things to drink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:00 pm 

Ironman wrote:
I don't think milk is good for weight loss due to the lactose though.

How is lactose bad for weight loss? I'm cutting right now as you already know, but I still drink milk (3.5-3.6% fat, the richest I can reliably get here). Is the lactose slowing down my fat burning as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, an 8 ounce serving of milk has 11 grams of lactose, which is a simple sugar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:11 am 

Ah, okay. Not a problem. I'm already accounting for those carbs, I was just worried that lactose had additional problems over and above the carb load.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, yea it does. It's the same as eating candy. The fat might slow it down a little.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next