ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:31 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Thanks Ironman. I'll try to cut my milk consumption down even further, maybe entirely cut it out for a little while while I cut weight. Got to finish the couple liters I have in the fridge first, I hate paying for calories I don't get to burn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:59 pm 

Ok this might be dumb...but someone once told me that alochol does not turn into fat in the body...because the body view's alochol as a poison. What happens instead is the body will burn up the alochol before anything else...so a true alcholic won't get fat cause he'll piss out the extra calories or whatever. The problem is most people eat when they drink...and those calories will all be turned into fat, seeing as how the body is too busy with the alocohlic calories. Or is this completely delusional?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mostly it's right. The body doesn't view it as poison. It is just a drug, and like many drugs, overdose causes problems. Alcohol is just another macro. It just has priority over carbs, because it burns faster. Have you noticed how you get hot when you drink? I don't think alcohol can be stored as fat, you just quickly burn it as you use it. It will displace the calories of everything you eat though, more of those calories can be stored as fat. Alcohol has little to no effect on insulin as it is metabolized by the liver. So it really depends on how much you drink and how much you have been eating all day, and most important, what you have been eating. So in a nutshell it just takes the place of some of the calories you would have burned if you hadn't been drinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:16 am 

But alcoholic beverages aren't pure alcohol. For example, beer contains a lot of carbs, and carbs can be converted to fat.

Burnout alcoholics are often skinny because they drink mostly hard liquor and cheap fortified wines. Also, they may not be eating much. Some harldy eat at all, since they're spending whatever money they have on booze.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:09 pm 

So instead of milk would you suggest that people take a calcium supplement to get the needed calcium? You just cant omit milk and think nothing of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 pm 

Green vegetables will provide calcium. Lots over other sources. Limiting grains will help with acidic balance and that has more to do with calcium in the body than calcium in the diet. There is nothing definitive showing that supplementary calcium provides any benifit.

Vitamin D is important. Get lots of sunshine.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritional ... acid.shtml
http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nu ... oodsources

Take a look at the chart at the bottom of this page. If you eat more of the the foods on the left you would have no calcium issues and most of your other problems would clear up as well.

http://www.a-better-way.com/naturalheal ... aline.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Matt Z wrote:
But alcoholic beverages aren't pure alcohol. For example, beer contains a lot of carbs, and carbs can be converted to fat.

Burnout alcoholics are often skinny because they drink mostly hard liquor and cheap fortified wines. Also, they may not be eating much. Some harldy eat at all, since they're spending whatever money they have on booze.

It depends on what you drink. With whiskey, the alcohol is the only thing with calories. Whiskey with diet soda is just 65 calories per serving, all alcohol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

and yes, I omit milk and think nothing of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:38 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Ironman wrote:
and yes, I omit milk and think nothing of it.

Well, Ironman, you certainly aren't alone in that. Lots of other calcium sources around. The US is about the only country i've been in where copious amounts of milk are consumed after about the age of 3. Most of the Europeans do cheese and such, but I rarely saw anyone doing much milk at all.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:36 am 

Didnt know that, nice to know. But if you think about it, there are alot of people out there who eat terrible and consume alot of non nuitritious foods in their diets which is apart of the reason obesity is so rampant in this country. So for people who are not ignorant and know of other sources of calcium its ok to get rid of it. But for the ignorant, I'd still suggest a glass in the morning. And for the people who don't know that they even require calcium...umm, I don't even know what to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:44 am 

Quote:
when products go low fat they usually are worse. To cover the loss of the fat they add sugar or trans fat to make it tastier. It loses some texture but it might actually taste better. Best example is the low fat oreos, lower fat but higher caloric values. People are so stupid also with the sugar free, like on sugar free jello, which the first ingredient is sugar under another name, maltodrexin, is just a way to make money. If you are going to eat ice cream eat the good one not the low fat that has polydextorse, same as sugar but with another fancy name, no sugar free $h!t.

Agree or Disagree?

Last edited by ironmaiden708 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:01 am 

I can't speak for all producs, but I have looked at a few labels on various cheeses and the low and no fat hot dogs and sausages. They put some type of carb gum filler in them (I don't have any on me right now-but I believe it was xanthum ). But yes, in the case of cookies0remember the low fat craze, and all these manufacturers were coming out with no fat cookies?-, wht they were doing was using the gums I mentioned and adding more sugar to keep the taste similar. M philosophy is, if you want cheese, have some, just keep in in moderation. Also, some cheeses are naturally lower fat than some others. Feta and mozzarella, while not being low fat by any stretch, and lower than cheddar or some of the others. Same with sausages. Go for it, but read labels. I've noticed the Premio brand is quite a lot lower in fat than most others with no additives, and I actually like turkey sausages, and some of those brands are very low in fat. About the one exception I've run into is Hellman's low-fat mayo (NOT no fat). I can't tell the difference and it's about half the fat.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

I would just like to add that we are all different and our bodies handle food differently. Studies have been done on indigenous peoples living the same way they have for thousands of years in villages all over the world to find out why they have almost no cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc... It's called metabolic typing. Diabetes is increasing in the indigenous people of Australia because they are eating more of the Western World diet more and less of their traditional foods. In South East Asia most people eat white rice 3 times a day yet diabetes is not that prevalent. The Innuit people eat mostly fish, seals, caribou, birds etc... with very little fruit and vegetables if any yet they don't seem to have a problem with heart disease.
We are all different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:40 pm 

That post that I quoted accually came from Dr. Serrano, I sent them another email about if that also is the same case with low fat dairy products like milk cheese yogurt 1/2 & 1/2, but they never responded...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well what Dr. Serrano said is true IF it has dextrose, or maltodextrin and that sort of thing in it. However sugar free jello uses aspartame now. Sugar alcohols and splenda are also used. I think he just doesn't know about these relatively new products. I get ice cream that is sweetened with splenda. If it had dextrose in it, I wouldn't eat it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next