ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:09 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Wow. someone reads the Stickeys! Granted, it was in the visitor's articles. It was posted by James, the guy that put the whole site together. It's a good read, espeially when two of the top people in the field disagree. Makes you think. I do believe that when you get ADEQUATE protein, and for ME, I average, rounded to1 gr/lb, its more than enough, but if I go in excess, it sure isn't going to hurt me either.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:41 pm 

Nobody will take the time to read that, it's about 6 pages long. But very interesting to me. It won't hurt you, but if you were to have excess protein for many years it could. The body is like a vehicle, you abuse it to many times, it will break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no proof of kidney damage from long term high protein intake.

The article said there isn't any good data on how much protein you need. If it's there, point me to it. Point me to where Dr. Berardi says you don't need more than 1g/lb, I've never seen that.

All we have is what people say they need to grow. If there is proof high protein does not cause any problems, why not eat it, just to be sure. Not to mention in a 4000 calorie diet, 300 grams is only 30%. That is a typical protein amount for recommended ratios.

Then if you add in people who use steroids, protein intake is even higher since they can gain muscle more rapidly than natural trainers.

People who say they don't need 1g/lbs, just don't know they eat that much protein. Look at recommended macro ratios. Do the math.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:30 pm 

People on steriods still don't need tons for protein to build muscle. Its rubish. People don't have a clue for what the best dosage is so they follow the philosophy "More is better!". What I believe is more along the lines of Dr. Phillips. Alot of that protein is getting used as another energy source so its not neccissary to have that much.

All this data with protein consumption at the moment is based off of opinion. Including what you and I are saying.

The reason I won't eat that much protein is because I've put on tons of mass without ever eating that much and I refuse to waste money on protein filled foods and supplements. Like what I stated before, I think its more important to eat protein at the right time than the accual quantity of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, that's exactly the problem, no research.