ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: food combos
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:31 pm 

Would u consider adding some combo of milk/nuts/eggs/beans to your diet in addition to your normal food intake as an effective muscle building means? In particular nuts and beans...considering the two combined have a good fat/protein/carb ratio...plenty of all three.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:44 pm 

All are great for bulking. Nuts are important even on weight loss diets due the good fats in them and they are filling. Eggs are important for everyone. Free range eggs are best. They taste better and often have a better fat profile. Dietary Cholesterol is a myth. There are lots of nutrients in egg yolk that everyone needs. Beans are a great excuse to eat chile. Milk is overrated. 3 glasses a day is loads.

The title of your thread is misleading. These are foods, not supplements.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Agreed on both points. Title changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:18 pm 

Don't be going crazy with the milk drinking. If I'm not wrong, can't it cause you to become sensitive or lactose intolerant to it if you drink it to much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:13 am 

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Don't be going crazy with the milk drinking. If I'm not wrong, can't it cause you to become sensitive or lactose intolerant to it if you drink it to much?

When i changed my diet to higher fat/protein, milk was the obvious way.

I was drinking 0.5-1.0l per day and started getting stomach cramps and flatulence.

Cut it out and I feel much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:04 pm 

The reason why I posted this thread was because of all the crap u hear about what u need to eat. All I hear is "meat meat meat" for putting on muscle. I don't really drink much milk...but it is a food that has plenty of fat and protein. Same with eggs. And nuts. Beans are more carbs and protein. Either way, I just plan on increasing my diet with these four foods, as opposed to eating half a chicken everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:27 pm 

The fat in milk is not the problem, it's the sugar. However with meals and after workouts it's OK. Beans are great but they are high in carbs. Depending on your diet they could be problematic. Traditionally prepared baked beans are high in sugar so you need to watch that as well. Otherwise, I agree completely with you.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I eat half a chicken in 1 meal, plus veggies and if I am bulking either some whole wheat bread or brown rice.

A couple times I've eaten a whole chicken in 1 meal, but without anything else.

On my last bulk, a couple times I put down a 6 piece of the Colonel's original recipe, plus nuts and a sugar-free dessert. They stopped using hydrogenated oil, so I figured what the hell.

Tonight I ate two 6 ounce New York strip steaks, half a pound of shrimp and a cucumber tomato salad, and I'm cutting.

Now if you said half a turkey, I'd agree.

Of course I'm probably a lot bigger than you. But still half a chicken isn't a lot unless you are like 120 lbs or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:14 pm 

Ironman wrote:
I eat half a chicken in 1 meal, plus veggies and if I am bulking either some whole wheat bread or brown rice.

A couple times I've eaten a whole chicken in 1 meal, but without anything else.

On my last bulk, a couple times I put down a 6 piece of the Colonel's original recipe, plus nuts and a sugar-free dessert. They stopped using hydrogenated oil, so I figured what the hell.

Tonight I ate two 6 ounce New York strip steaks, half a pound of shrimp and a cucumber tomato salad, and I'm cutting.

Now if you said half a turkey, I'd agree.

Of course I'm probably a lot bigger than you. But still half a chicken isn't a lot unless you are like 120 lbs or something.

Hmm...yea ur right half a chicken isn't truly that much (it is alot though)...how bout a whole chicken? I sometimes do get half a chicken at like smokey bones if I go there or something...but a whole chicken is just an obscene amount to eat...and I've talked to guys that say that's what it takes. I can eat...but then again if I eat that much meat (or anything for that matter), I get fat. It seems to me slower gains by just adding something with a good mixture of fat, protein and carbs would be more useful than gobbling down more protein in one meal than most get in a two day span.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

yea, you just have to find what works for you.