ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I have been lurking around the site for a few months and have gathered a ton of great information. I have some questions regarding supplements (protein specifically).
My story:
37 year old male
novice trainer
I am 6 feet tall and recently dropped from a fat 215 lbs. back down to 190.
For the past 3 months I have started to run, bike, do a lot of push-up and pull up type exercises and a small amount of lifting to supplement a mixed martial arts program that I enjoy.
After the new year, I hope to focus more time on strength training. I would like to approach it with the right plan. Obviously, I want to become stronger for my martial arts program, with a secondary interest in overall appearance and health. I would also like to gain lean muscle without packing on all the fat I just worked so hard to lose.
I eat pretty healthy, lots of fruits, veggies, meat, yogurt. try to only eat whole grains.
My current supplements are a multi vitamin, Flaxseed oil, and chromium.
My first question is should I be taking a protein supplement? I have noticed some gains just by doing simple exercises and no real attention to dieting for gains. Am I denying myself anything by not eating a ton of protein? I really struggle with trying to figure out what time of day to eat what foods etc. especially during and after a workout? That seems like a pretty important time to do things right diet-wise.
In my 20's I weight trained for a while and lost interest due to the fact that I am a hard -gainer. I seem to get stronger, just not bigger.
Again, any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. Feel free to recommend any other supplements or ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:03 pm 

Any beginner is going to see big gains because you are retraining your neurotransmitters. As you progress, your gains will slow. You don't need protein supplementation if you are getting enough protein in your diet. Different studies will tell you different things with most telling you to get 1 - 2 grams of protein per pound of lean mass. That can be relatively hard to do without supplementation.

My personal thoughts are that I bust my butt in the gym. I want the maximum benefit from working hard. I can't get that if I am missing any key ingredients in my diet. Thus I supplement with protein.

Check out what you are eating and figure 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. If you are low, supplement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:09 pm 

Your diet is very good, so ill compliment you on that. If I were you I would add fish oil tablets 1-3 in the morning or one to what you consider breakfast lunch dinner. Eat 5-6 minimeals if your doing that already then good job. The most important thing of all of this is to make sure that when you are weightlifting that you have roughly 20-25g of protein before anf after you lift. Also have carbs boefore and afterwards. Before for energy to work to the best of your ability. Afterwards so there is sufficient energy for muscle repair. I wouldn't go to 1.5g/lb of bodyweight. I don't even do that and I've made huge gains. Go for at least 1g/lb of bodyweight but I don't even like that much. I think Dr. Phillips has got the best theory thus far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

thanks for the replies. I do eat my meals spread out over the day. Usually eating 5-6 times per day, and sometimes more often if I train. I lost my weight using the weight watchers diet and it has really worked well in retraining my eating habits. I am comfortable being in the 185-915 lb range. I feel I have acheived the right weight for my height and body, and can probably add a few calories to "maintain" it, hence the protein question.If I add muscle and become heavier, than that's all good. I just want to keep the fat off.
I think I will try some protein, am I to assume "whey" is what I want? How can I determine which protein supplement might best suit me? Would 1g/lb every day be a good start?
I will also follow the advice with fish oil, and timing the protein around workouts.
A question regarding the fish oil, should it replace the flaxseed oil I already take or just add it to the arsenal?
Thanks again, great site with no BS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:43 am 

1g/lb is enough, the extra won't hurt though.

Whey is probably best for you. Post workout you need whey due to it's fast action. Casein is slow acting and therefore better for before bed but the extra benefit is minor. I mix a scoop of whey in a glass of milk before bed. After workout I have it with water.

Keep the flax oil. The extra Omega 3 will only help.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:47 pm 
former lurker

Location: www.exerciseadvantage.ca; www.precisionnutrition.com
In terms of protein supplements (assuming you're looking in terms of meal replacement shakes) you'd be best suited with a blend containing the following:

• Whey Protein Isolate
• Milk Protein Isolate
• Micellar Casein

Any/ all of the brands below will work well -

Metabolic Drive by Biotest
ProV60 by Labrada
Protein Plus by Metrx

Alternatively, you could opt to create your own blend from bulk suppliers such as Trueprotein, Bulk Nutrition, etc.

During/Post-workout

Here you'll want to use a quality whey hydrolysate powder (read quick digesting). Recovery drinks such as Surge by Biotest and Relentless by Extreme Forumulations are good choices here.

Again, you could opt to create your own recovery drink by combining a quality hydrolysate powder and dextrose (corn sugar) which you'll be able to find at your local bulk foods store.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:09 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

thank you, I am going to shop the local supplement stores tomorrow, Not sure what I will come up with. I am planning to add fish oil and protein to my diet.
A quick question about low-fat cottage cheese. I see it has a large amount of whey protein. I don't mind eating it, so where in my daily routine should I be eating it?
Also, would creatine be something to consider?
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:38 pm 

Get the good creatine, get Biotest "Micronized German Creatine"