ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No appetite...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:40 pm 

LOL, this sounds like a sad story, but my woman dumped me about a week and a half ago, and since then I've had no appetite at all. I've literally lost about 10-15 lbs, and even though I seem to have gotten over all the emotional crap that came with it, my appetite has not returned at all. Even when I do feel hungry I can barely eat anything without feeling like crap. Any advice? Foods that might stimulate it or anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:34 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

- Get a new woman.

- Eat anyway.

Continued loss of appetite is probably a sign you aren't "over it" yet. But you have to eat. Outline what you need to eat every day ahead of time, and eat it regardless. I get the same thing with emotional letdowns - I find I can't train as intensely, or as long, and I just don't have the motivation (or more typically, I'm easily distracted). The best solution is to redouble your efforts in the area.

So plan your meals and eat them anyway. Plan your workouts and do them hard. And find someone else. That last one is the most important! If you can't do that, find something else that you want to do and dedicate yourself to it with the time you'd have spent on your previous relationship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:10 am 

Sorry to be a little insensitive about it but I find it's quite interesting.

Most of the time I find I eat because I should, not because I want to. I don't even like some of the foods, but I like the effects that I get from them.

As for getting over it, I don't know. As for getting your appetite, try going for a 3 hour walk in the hills or something, I find I am absolutely ravenous after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:51 am 

I agree on the walk. First priority is get past the emotional upset. It's natural to be depressed in this situation. Talk about it with a friend. The long walk will help you put things in perspective. Once your stress reduces and you start sleeping well, start back heavy in the gym. In the mean time, eat healthy balanced meals, don't worry about the volume of food right now. When you are under stress your cortizone increases and you start packing fat around the belly. Heavy weights while you are in this condition can easily send you into overtraining and impared immune system.
I'd be careful about finding a new women before you are over the last one. That can only bring trouble. Unless she's really cheap.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:02 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Stu, not to hijack the thread, but you brought up the stress/cortisol relationship. I've seen a lot of ads recently promoting PS (check my spelling here-phosphadidylserine) as it is supposed to be a cortisol blocker/blunter. We used it some years back to aid in recovery, for that reason. Have you ever known anyone to use it and actually help lose the belly fat? I know it was being hyped pretty heavily for that purpose on TV the past year or so.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:44 am 

Phosphatidylserine

I've never heard of it but Wikipedia mentions that it's found naturally in fish and green leafy vegetables. All the more reason to keep a clean diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:35 pm 

Hmm...yea I've still been trying to weight train, but perhaps a good hike might be good. LOL...I wasn't trying to get advice on the whole "love situation", as I say, I am for the most part over it (even though it might not sound like I am). It's just...now when I try to eat like before, I think my stomach went for literally a week without food (except for one night of drunkeness), and I get sick to my stomach. Amazingly enough...I don't feel that bad physically...but I have been trying to drink more calories (even drinking regular sodas and whatnot) to not go anorexic. But, perhaps because I used to be a fattie, and did battle anorexia in high school, I do want to eat, but I think perhaps my sub-conscious is telling me no. It usually happens when something bad happens to me, but this time is horrible. I realize this might be too deep a conversation to be having on a website BB...but I was thinking I could get insight if anyone else has had this problem on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:35 am 

Am I off base here? When you go into starvation mode - not eating - your body adapts by the stomach shrinking and suppression of the appetite. Eat. Eat some more and it should come back. If all else fails, smoke a pound of pot. You should get the munchies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:36 pm 

My personal opinion, I don't think its a good idea to promote drug use on this forum. Even if it is something as mild as pot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:05 pm 

I took it as a joke, which I'm sure it was. Ever seen "up in smoke" with cheech and Chong?
Thought I'd die laughing.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:47 pm 

hoosegow wrote:
Am I off base here? When you go into starvation mode - not eating - your body adapts by the stomach shrinking and suppression of the appetite. Eat. Eat some more and it should come back. If all else fails, smoke a pound of pot. You should get the munchies.

Hmm...I guess so. I don't smoke pot...but I still get hungry when I drink, so drinking a six-pack would be better. I wish it was easy to just "eat" like people say...but its not the same for me. Do you not like to fly or something similiar like that? Tell a person with a fear of spiders to just grab one- and that's kind of what u have with me. Eventually it fades...but it can stay for a long time with me.

Last edited by tyler on Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:49 pm 

Oh yea...I took it as a joke as well :D. And laughed out loud a bit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I thought it was funny. Plus pot isn't really all that bad for you anyway. Although heavy long term use can cause emphysema. So it's not like we can seriously recommend it for stimulation of appetite in this situation. I think it has it's place for that purpose and relieving nausea in chemotherapy. Not to mention as pain relief for certain conditions, and to relieve pressure in glaucoma.

Besides, the mid 90's are a little hazy for me. So I really can't say much about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:18 am 

Yes it was a joke. I'm glad to see some took it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:17 pm 

I'm basing it off the website that this forum represents but w/e it's no big deal.