ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:26 am 

1) Cashews, I just checked out the macro nutrients and they contain about 30g per 100g, with 80% of that as starch.

2) Honey and Maple syrup. They have low GI values but taste so good ... it doesn't seem right to me.

3) Fruit. On a low grain diet, it's hard to get a decent level of Carbs in the diet (50% of calories). Most fruit seems to be low-medium GI. Should fruit be substituted with veggies?

Sorry for asking such simple questions, just a couple of things I was wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:05 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

1. Cashews, I haven't got a clue what your source for that statement was, but wherever you got it, throw it out. Here's a breakdown on 100 gCashews
water 2.4%
P 20.5%
C 18.7%, most of which is fiber
F 50.9% with excellent ratio's of Sat:Monosat:Polyunsat (Approx 1:2:1)
Summary, excellent fat source. Just wath your quantities
2. Hi II and GI. No reason to avoid it like the plague. Its They're good flavoring agents. Just don't feel the need to float your food in it use it in moderation.
3. Stu and I put a sticky up on this subject, "A good breakdown of carbs". Most fruit, with the exception of some of the tropical stuff, is low-med (under about 60) on the GI and II. Don't sub it FOR veg, eat it WITH veg to get your desired carb levels. OK, I see the next question coming already. Why not just eat a little grain? You could, and I often at a mixture of grain and legumes (barley and lentils or peas), in small quantities for this reason, but the advantage of using fruit with the same amount of carbs is 1. Lower GI, II, but most importantly 2. Much higher nutient content, along with the fruit fiber.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:59 am 

I agree, all are good in moderation. You don't have to be moderate about vegetables though. Cashews are one of the better nuts along with Almonds and walnuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:37 am 

Thanks for that Tim. As I have said many times before, nutrition is probably the area I know least about. Up until 6-9 months ago, I barely ate any fats or protein. Still some things I needed to ask though :)

I only noticed the Sticky you and Stu posted, good stuff. :)

I asked the maple syrup/honey thing as I used to have 4-5 sugars in my tea (20g :o) but cut that out once I started looking at a lower carb/ lower GI diet. It's good to hear that they aren't too bad for you.

Once again Thanks :)