Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEAL RATIOS
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:08 am 
former lurker

Hey everyone!

I'm 22, 160lbs, 5'11".

I want to go into a bulking diet, followed by a cutting diet. How long should I use the bulking diet for before going into the cutting?

Also, MEAL RATIOS ! what is the best ratio for bulking ? (40/40/20, 30/50/20, etc.), and for cutting ?

I also want to have 2 no carb days.. good idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

All that stuff is very individual. Basically you keep bulking or cutting as long as it works, or until you get what you want. Ratios depend on your body type and how well you metabolize carbs. I don't think a no carb day is possible or desirable. You can do like 20 a day or so though when cutting. To bulk you need considerably more carbs. It's going to depend on your body as far as how much though.

You should concentrate on bulking right now. I'd recommend 200 grams of protein and roughly 3000 to 3500 calories depending on body type.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:20 pm 
former lurker

I'm doing 35% protein, 50% carbs, and 15% fat. however it's not easy to edhere perfectly to this when i combine the food together. a 5% up or down for each nutrient doesn't really make a difference right?

is 1 day of cardio ok during bulking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:20 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

As far as ratio's go, they're all over the map, depending on which nutritionist you are getting guidance from. I also don't think a 5-10 % swing either way is going to hurt, BUT, what I think is more important than ratios is to follow a set of general guidelines. Your ratio sounds fine, maybe too low in fat, but keep in mind carbs. There are starches, and there are fibrous veg, and fruits all grouped into one categoru. Eating 55% or so of potatoes and pasta is NOT the same as dividing it between fibrous veg (lotsI, a piece or two of fruit, and one or tow SMALL servings of the starches. If you haven't done so already, read our stickys above on this.
Also, in the general guidelines sticky, you will find a link to John Berardi's 7 habits to an effective nutitional program. Good general way of doing things, and following it you should come out with a ratio close to what you have.
Cardio, depends on what you are doing, how long, etc, but I don't see how 1 day would hurt, unless you are terribly thin and just can't pui on weight.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, if you really like cardio. Ratios and variance looks fine to me.