ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:31 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi Guys, I have been looking at nutrition internet instruction in the way of E books the one that has caught my eye is the program by Precision Nutrition www.precisionnutrition.com what do you think of these Ebooks? Can someone recommend a program? Are they worth the money? I am finding all the information out there a bit daunting and confusing. I have hit a wall in my fat loss. Also I have been using some software from www.calorieking.com.au I am mainly using this as it has all the Australian foods. What do you think of this system of counting kcal, fat, Protein and Carbs with a computer program? I find it useful as it is fast and accurate once the foods are set up. I know there is so much information on these forums but for a beginner there is so much to learn, lol sometimes too much! Of course I want results I was an out of shape fat slob with low self esteem for too long, I still have a long way to go and am absolutely determined to reach my gaols.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:45 pm 

Quote:
Bad genetics? Look, this is a definite NO. A complete cop-out. You know what bad genetics are? Being born without legs. A propensity to gain fat around your midsection is NOT bad genetics. Sure, each of us has certain genetic limitations; for instance, you may not be equipped to play quarterback for the Patriots, play center for the Celtics or win the Boston Marathon – in other words, you may not have the genetic makeup to reach the upper limits of human performance. But you can always lose fat or gain muscle. In ten years of working with people of all stripes, from office managers to elite athletes, I’ve yet to see a single case where we couldn’t make significant body composition change – and that’s what you really want, isn’t it? So if you’ve been using the old “bad genetics” routine, stop shaking your fist at the heavens, and look a little closer at the real problem.

Hmm, the ease of the weight coming off can be related to genetics. Being born without legs is a deformity, so I wonder if that would be considered bad genetics.

I wouldn't recommend getting it. You can find all the info you need to do it yourself. They claim John Berardi's clients use it. It's $100 with the '$50 off regular price'. Do research, look up reviews and deside from there, its hard to make any solid opinions when its not sitting here on my lap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:30 pm 
n00b
n00b

Yes you are right Ironmen708.Tthe quote you made was valid I made a mistake they are not Ebooks but paper backs. $100 hmm0 I will buy some quaity whey protien for that! I just keep doing what I am doing, eat right, watch my calorie inatake, fats, protien and carbs, expererment a bit do a lot more homework, train hard and have some fun. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:33 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend getting it. You can find all the info you need to do it yourself.

I've got Precision Nutrition, it's worth it's value 10 times over. Just the cookbook, Gourmet Nutrition is worth the whole price.

It has everything you need to know included in it, and I mean everything. All the diet info that you would want to know, plus all the 'measuring' info you would want to know (comes with fat calipers as well), plus recipes for super protein shakes, 5 minute meals, protein bars. It has all th info you would need about creating your own diet and then personalising it to you and your goals and your lyfestyle. Possible one the best parts, is the quick start start guide, you follow a few instructions and in 2-3 hours you have new contents in your k-word, a shopping list, dinner, and a few meals prepared in advance - the instructions include removing stuff from your k-word (crappy foods) and then you get a basic shopping list, go get it, come back, and follow the instructions to make dinner and a few other meals.

It details great recommendations for storing food, preparing it in advance, carrying it about.

It also turns you into a chef. I was completely hopeless in the k-word and I hated cooking. Now i'm like a pro and I love it. The cooking instructions are clear and concise, complete with great tips on things like chopping veg, flipping omelets etc. The recipes are great as well, even the ones that look disgusting, and there's loads of of recipes any way. They're also labeled for quick reference i.e. Post work out, any time etc

Not to mention, you get access to the members only forum, which has various experts on it, as well as loads of other PN members who provide great info as well. JB himself is regularly on the forum. Forum is also constantly updated with info and articles. Whenever there is a new 'fad', things like that, you get the PN view point. You can get direct help, list your diet and problems etc and you get really good advice on it.

PN isn't a diet, it's a new way of life. You can actually incorporate specific diets into the 'PN way', if necessary. There are also lots of set diets that have been created for PN members for things like rapid fat loss etc. Not to mention the info available on all aspects of training as well.

I don't even think I've covered everything. I only got it a few months ago, still to go through loads of it - the best thing about it is you can just start straight away.

When I said it's worth the value '10 times over', it's because it would literally take you years to gather all this info, assuming your not studying nutrition or anything. I also know that I will use this info for many years, can't see myself dropping the lifestyle anyway.

It's one thing to have competent knowledge of macro and micro nutrients, but it's another thing altogether trying to put this info onto a plate.

Also, John Berardi's reputation speaks for itself... Nothing really needs said on that, just do some searches.

If you want to hit the nail on the head with regards to diet, regardless of you goals, then get Precision Nutrition.

:-)

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:44 am 

Also, RE the bad genetics, I think his point is - 'What WOULD be classed as bad genetics?'

Also, it's direct reference to people using excuses like 'i'm a hard gainer'. His point is that having a fast metabolism and good carb tolerance, and smaller frame (i.e. smaller bones) does not mean you have bad genetics or can't gain weight. It's an excuse you hear all the time.

The fact is, if you can't put on weight, you need to eat more, and eat better. There's nothing else (lifting aside). If you want to lose weight, you need to eat less, eat better and move around some more.

I don't think there's an actual definition for 'bad genetics', I would imagine deformities could come under that category, though.

Im quite 'Pro PN', encase you never noticed ;-)

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 am 

Interesting, I also posted:
Quote:
Do research, look up reviews and deside from there, its hard to make any solid opinions when its not sitting here on my lap

Well you got a review. I might want it myself now....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Granted some people are just whiners. However if genetics don't matter, then we could all be Mr. Olympia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:22 am 

It's 100% 'nitpicking', but the quote from the PN site did say,

Quote:
in other words, you may not have the genetic makeup to reach the upper limits of human performance. But you can always lose fat or gain muscle.

:-)

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:41 am 

Do a Google search on Albert Manger. At age 21 he was 6'2" and 94#. That was around 1920. He won the national weightlifting title 181# class in 1929 and heavyweight in 1930. He doubled his body weight in 9 years. I'm sure he thought he had bad genetics at one point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:24 pm 

My friend would be one I would consider to have bad genetics. His abs muscles are not a 6-pack, he has this deformed ripple looking thing. He doesn't build strength easily (I thought it was fat over the top of it but its rock hard). His dad was a bodybuilder. But he didn't seem to get those traits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, absolutely. Everyone can gain muscle and loose fat. I'll agree with that. The people who can't fall into my whiner category. But some things are easier for some people than others. Everyones body is very different. Good genetics is big thing in bodybuilding. You can get your body in the best shape it can get in. But it may take a lot longer despite 100% effort and a perfect plan. The finished product may not be that great in comparison to other people with better genetics. But getting your own body looking as good as it can, is something that is possible for anyone.