ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Fat Diet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:27 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Very interesting study. It doesn't surprise me at all. Native Canadians do better eating a traditional diet than eating western crap. The important thing here is that it's getting wide exposure.

http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/index.html

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:10 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Doesn't surprize me at all either. I can remember this was brought up when I was in Hawaii about 15 years ago. The people got off the Taro root, and traditional pork, fish,veg, and rice thing and turned more towards KFC, Mickey D's' etc, and they had the epidemic that's showing up in your article, and from what I've read, now that India, China and other places in the eastern world are becoming very economically sound, the same things starting to happen over there now too.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:26 pm 

The media is finally picking up on the fact that this flies in the face of the Canada Food Guide, the normal diabetic diets and normal dietary advice. Just more evidence that conventional wisdom is really collective foolishness.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:17 pm 

I've watched the diabetic world do almost a 180 over the years. My best friend since the age of 17 is a type I, and I can remember back in the mid 60's everyone was preaching "complex carbs". Well, it seems the terms simple and complex got tossed out when they found out the so called complex carbs broke down faster in the body than a lot of the simple carbs, like most fruits. Even back than he wouldn't pay much attention to the guru's, he ate for how he best felt, which was peanut butter on a single piece of whole wheat toast, fruit and eggs for breakfast, which the guru were saying was terrible. Peanut butter's bad, not enough complex carbs, yada, yada.He's doing fine still at age 61. Even on PBS I was watching a symposium given by the State's (Va) director of the Diabetes Assoc, and I'll be darned if it wasn't what Berardi (7 habits)and other low to modeate carb proponents are saying.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:37 pm 

The issues involving obesity accually seem to be unknown to alot of the people who are obese. The health risks are not addressed by doctors in such a way that the patient understands what they are doing to themselves. Doctors tend to sugarcoat these issues based on what I've read and alot I believe has to deal with the risk or hurting that poor guys or gals feelings and possibly getting sued for some bs "verbal abuse". When is being blunt and telling a guy or girl that they are an expensive walking timebomb a bad thing? (Expensive as in they cost everybody else money to pay for their meds, wheelchairs or cranes to lift them out of bed.) I believe if the ignorance was removed from the population then things would be slightly better.

This reminds me of a incident that occured at the store i work at. This place I work at sells alot of patio furniture. Two obese ladies (about 400 lbs) walk in and were looking around at the stuff. One of them starts to complain about the furniture. She said "You think that they would make furniture to fit bigger people". That statement dumbfounded me and aggrevated me at the same time. That makes me think that she is playing herself the victim and thinks that things should be built to service all people no matter how big they are. She should accually say this to herself: "I must be truely obese if I can't fit in a chair like this". They should be punished in some way for abusing their bodies, one way is make them pay for 2 seats on an airplane if they don't fit into one, instead of giving them the other seat for free which is what they use to do. Honestly I don't think they should even get health insurance since all they are is a walking medical bill.

I'm sorry that I get fired up over these things. Its a touchy subject of mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:31 pm 

ironmaiden708 wrote:
The issues involving obesity accually seem to be unknown to alot of the people who are obese. The health risks are not addressed by doctors in such a way that the patient understands what they are doing to themselves. Doctors tend to sugarcoat these issues based on what I've read and alot I believe has to deal with the risk or hurting that poor guys or gals feelings and possibly getting sued for some bs "verbal abuse". When is being blunt and telling a guy or girl that they are an expensive walking timebomb a bad thing? (Expensive as in they cost everybody else money to pay for their meds, wheelchairs or cranes to lift them out of bed.) I believe if the ignorance was removed from the population then things would be slightly better.

This reminds me of a incident that occured at the store i work at. This place I work at sells alot of patio furniture. Two obese ladies (about 400 lbs) walk in and were looking around at the stuff. One of them starts to complain about the furniture. She said "You think that they would make furniture to fit bigger people". That statement dumbfounded me and aggrevated me at the same time. That makes me think that she is playing herself the victim and thinks that things should be built to service all people no matter how big they are. She should accually say this to herself: "I must be truely obese if I can't fit in a chair like this". They should be punished in some way for abusing their bodies, one way is make them pay for 2 seats on an airplane if they don't fit into one, instead of giving them the other seat for free which is what they use to do. Honestly I don't think they should even get health insurance since all they are is a walking medical bill.

I'm sorry that I get fired up over these things. Its a touchy subject of mine.

I know how you feel. I have been trying to get my girlfriend who is a vegetarian to eat a protein/fat rich diet. Well, low grain diet not so much high fat.

I have also been getting her to weight train (more crossfit style) but she is doing really well.

This other girl at work who is fat, not 400lb but shes 22ish and big. Sat at lunch that we should be eating lots of pasta and doing 60min cardio sessions. I basically explained why we shouldn't.

So I am now away in Holland for a few months and my Girlfriend tells me this fatty came to her and told her again that she shouldn't be doing weights because 60mins of cardio is more effective.

*shakes head*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:40 pm 

IronMaiden708, you're right. The general public is completely unaware of the proper way to eat. That's because the official diet guidelines are out of whack. Part is a conspiracy to support big business and big agriculture which is set up to sell packaged foods based on grains. Part is the slowness of the medical community to change their views as new evidence is presented and part is the lack of new research when the potential results don't support big business, big agriculture or the established medical views.

From a strictly monetary point of view, preventative medicine actually costs. It appears that by preventing diseases that kill you while your young means that you have a better chance of contracting something more expensive when you get older. Of course, that's a pretty heartless approach. The real cost of the mis-education of the western world is the human cost of lives shortened and the decrease in the quality of life for these people.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:56 pm 

daniel isn't it funny that sometimes people give advice and you look at them and be like ok? do you do that? oh you do? ok I'll stick to what I'm doing and you do what your doing. Crazy people eat and say well i eat what i want i only have one life to live i'll enjoy it smokers alcoholics and drug addicts say the same thing. I say live healthy eat healthy think healthy and be healthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:24 pm 

stuward wrote:
The general public is completely unaware of the proper way to eat. That's because the official diet guidelines are out of whack. Part is a conspiracy to support big business and big agriculture which is set up to sell packaged foods based on grains. Part is the slowness of the medical community to change their views as new evidence is presented and part is the lack of new research when the potential results don't support big business, big agriculture or the established medical views.
Stu

OK, you got me on a rant now. This is ABSOLUTELY true. Big business is putting their influences to work to squelch funding for studies on any of this, plus keeping the status quo alive and well. people like Dr. Barry Sears, The Eades, Atkins, and many more that promote non processed foods would seriously cut into their businesses, so to hell with the general health of the public (I was going to say American public, but it's world wide now). It makes me sick when I see all these commercials promoting these sugar-laden beakfast cereals
as being healthy. Same with these fruit drinks (notice I didn't say juices). The other issue was the opposition to change and to accept the more natural approach. I could puke whenever some idiot with ASCM behind his name tells me Sears and the other lowered starch (think non-processed foods) promoters are dead wrong.
OK, end of rant.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:09 pm 

Tim, you probably read this but other's may be interested.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/stat ... #more-1201

"Don’t think that the American Heart Association (AHA) truly has your interests at heart in waging its misguided war on cholesterol. Just as with all wars, there are profits to be made by some. In the war on cholesterol it is the AHA that is both escalating the war AND profiting from it."

Stu