Lose 50lbs
Bench 225 @ 10 reps

Diet:

Approx 1700 cals a day
Breakfast (7:30am): 2 cups skim milk, 2 scoops GNC whey protein
Mid-morning(10or11): banana
Lunch(12or1): protein bar 16-20grams protein 270 cals
Mid-afternoon(3pm): varies ... apple or nuts , yogurt, cottage cheese
dinner(5pm): usually chicken breast (sometimes fish or lean pork) (2 halves), tblsp olive oil, cup of brown rice, and some vegetables

Work out:

two weeks in ...

mon-wed-fri 20 minutes stationary bike followed by light weight routine lasting approx 20 minutes. bench, upright row, press, curls, triceps extension, squats, calf raises
tues-thurs-sat 30 minutes stationary bike

Having just started lifting again, after about a year off (my last recorded bench workout was 200 @ 10 reps) i am starting with weights that i can easily do 10 reps with, just trying to avoid soreness and practice form. i have to travel next week for work, so i won't be able to start doing heavy weights til i get back. then i plan on adding some additional exercises. not sure what i can bench max right now ... for what its worth i can still knock out 20 good pushups, 15 with my 30lb son sitting on my back ;)

The basic reason for my post, is i am looking for some recommendations, or things i should change, are my goals realistic, whatever little nuggets that i can correct now before i get to far into it. proper diet has always been a problem for me ...

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:24 pm 

Your goals are certainly accomplishable. 2.5 lbs per week. +25 to bench.

Diet Hmmm...
-Breakfast, you need to have some accual food, proteins not bad but you will get hungry and you are limited to the nuitrients inside that milk and protein powder. Ex: eggs w/ a slice of whole wheat toast and a single serving of protein mixed with water or 1/2 milk 1/2 water, vitamin and fish oil. Or have an omelette with meat and/or veggies mixed into it. (mmmm...)
-I don't see to much of veggies/or fruit in your diet
-As a snack natural peanut butter would be good
-Lunch, same with the breakfast not enough real food, use that protein bar as a snack. Make a salad with some very dense veggies inside of it. Possibly with some olive oil or vinegar drizzled on it. Adding a little chicken into it wouldn't be a bad decision.
-This was accually just brought up in another thread get yourself some plain full fat yogurt and mix fruit of possibly some nuts inside of it as a snack.
-Becareful with eating nuts/peanut butter to they are very easy to go overboard on eating.
-Measure the calories of that dinner right there. That seems like that is alot of calories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:18 am 
n00b
n00b

thanks for the feedback!

Ommited from original post is that I take a multi-vitamin, and fish oil supplement with my morning shake. Also, I add psyllium.

I use a program called cron-o-meter (http://spaz.ca/cronometer/) to do my calorie calculations. Nice program, try it, if you haven't seen it before. really nice for tweaking portions, and planning meals.

The dinner, comes out to be about 700 cals. Your right, I should break that up between lunch and dinner.

Revised:

Breakfast: replace milk with banana in shake. so one banana, two cups of water, and two scoops whey. psyllium, multi vitamin, fish oil.
mid-morning: yogurt/cottage cheese with fruit/veg
Lunch: lean meat/fish with veg
mid-afternoon: protein bar
dinner: lean meat/fish, half cup brown rice, veg

On the weekends I do omelette's for lunch ... since i have some actual time to prepare them.

I appreciate the salad recommendation, but I have to exclude it. I would rather eat broccoli and carrots.

Really the hardest part of the diet is implementing a lifestyle change that isn't unrealistic. My biggest problem, is not eating regular meals, and then binging as soon as I get a chance to eat. So, its a balancing act between optimal nutrition and what I know that I can realistically stick too, until these become habits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:56 am 

Quote:
psyllium

I never heard of that
Quote:
Really the hardest part of the diet is implementing a lifestyle change that isn't unrealistic.

Thats a main reason of why diet plans tend to fail for people.
Quote:
The dinner, comes out to be about 700 cals. Your right, I should break that up between lunch and dinner.

A meal should consist of about 300-400 calories so it was wise to break that up.

-Lunch is much better than it was
-Breakfast, I would recommend at least every other day to have a few eggs and omit a serving of whey
-If you are so inclined you can take a fish oil capsul with every meal you consider to be breakfast, lunch, dinner
-Try to get a taste for a variety of veggies such as a salad w/ added veggies, tomatoes, cabbage, cauli flower, brussel sprouts, asparagus, peppers, zuccini, the list goes on. I say this to resist getting sick of eating this food.
-Resist corn and potatoes
-Dinner looks to be solid
-You have veggies or fruit with nearly every meal which is good.
-Don't go crazy with low fat foods, a good chunk of them can have added fillers inside of them which make them more unhealthy for you than the full fat version. Just read the food labels and you will be good. Ex: Don't get low fat ice cream to try to be guilt free about it. You want a treat and you deserve it, go for it. Milk I know isn't a bad thing to get low fat.

It looks to be pretty good thus far other than the couple things I may have mentioned up above.

When do you plan on exercising during the day? Will you do cardio everyday? Will you do resistance training everyday?

Read this for any other tips for your diet.
http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4148

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:48 am 
n00b
n00b

psyllium husks were recommended to me by a friend ... it's filling and keeps you "regular". along the lines of metamucil.

I exercise after 8pm (when the kids goto bed) at night. So there is 2+ hours between dinner, and my workout. I am doing cardio (stationary bike) everyday, but only as a warmup before weights, which is mon-wed-fri. so, 3 days a week i am doing 20 minute warmups, and the other 3 days 45+ minutes. thus, my daily workouts are under an hour.

As the weather gets nicer, I will begin a walk/run routine weekdays at lunch as time permits.

Ultimately, I need to keep the workouts at an hour or less, 5 days a week (aside from lunch which is bonus). When I say that, those are the workouts that I am insisting are "mandatory" , if I can manage more than that, then I will. But one of the things that got me off track before was trying to keep up with a 1.5 hours 6 times a week regime. I have two kids under 3, between the hours of 6am and 8pm there is very little free time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:58 am 

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Quote:
psyllium

I never heard of that

Metamucil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:02 am 

Oh basically fiber then ok.