ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caffeine?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey there, just wanted to see if I could get some input on caffeine. I personally do not take any form of caffeine on a daily basis and never have, I have been doing some research and am finding information about it being helpful in losing fat. Not to mention, it is one of the main ingredients in numerous fat loss supplements and is regarded as something good to give you more 'pump' when you work out.

Now, by that rational, if you get more of a 'pump' and can push/pull/lift more, then your muscles get a better workout and well develop better, right? Can someone give me a little insight and perhaps enlighten me about caffeine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:09 pm 

(ignore this)

Last edited by amivan on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think there is proof of any of that. I have actually seen a lot of stuff lately saying the contrary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:01 pm 

Alright, so maybe you're right and I haven't read anything about caffeine in a long time, so i did some checking up read a bunch of stuff and it seems that caffeine indeed isn't so bad, supposedly (hey, i'm biased). However there seems to be no improvement in short-term, high intensity performances with caffeine consumption. Caffeine should be taken 2-3 hours prior to performance. Caffeine does help with fat burning, sort of, it apparently helps to encourage the use of fat as fuel by active muscles-this also delays the use of muscle glycogen which can prolong exercise (in the study the endurance exercise was 2 hours long). Halting habitual use of caffeine will result in withdrawal and will affect performance, also users felt less alert with additional use of caffeine (after the initial use of the day). It appears that the greatest benefit of caffeine for weight training will come in upper body lifts.

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/pr ... tNr=224082

http://www.springerlink.com/content/n710n33574716586/

http://dialnet.unirioja.es/servlet/arti ... go=2059422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:02 pm 

Quote:
That being said (100% certain) caffeine isn't great on the heart, it puts a lot of stress on it, even more so when you're performing/exercising at a high intensity(which weightlifting counts as)--Caffeine and coffee consumption adversely affects cholesterol and other lipid levels, homocysteine, blood pressure, arrhythmias and stress levels, increasing the risk of heart disease. And don't forget dehydration.

And with all that being said, caffeine isn't proven to be bad for you in moderation 1-2(though that's pushing it) cups a day. If you get in the habit of using caffeine and then stop you have a wonderful chance of experiencing withdrawal-usually reflected as headaches for 24-48 hours.

Also.. fat loss supplements are crap, but don't take my word for it, I'm just very biased because all they do is either a) dehydrate you b) dehydrate you or c) **** up your metabolism and cause hormone level abnormalities see hypothyroidism for example

WHAT????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:47 pm 

Quote:
My track coach banned caffeinated drinks like RedBull because of the inconsistency it can create; example- my teammate would run a 44 second 400m dash consistently, one day he tried redbull before one of his races, he ran a 42.5 (granted that's not all redbull's work), the next time he tried redbull in a race he ran a 47.8, the time after that he ran a 43.1, then he ran a 46.9. The point here being was that you had no idea how he would perform because either he would crash or get that "boost".

That can't be said definitively. There are too many variables to be able to blame caffeine for his performance.

Quote:
And don't forget dehydration.

Boy, nobody ever gets dehydrated. Dehydration also effects performance too.

Quote:
And with all that being said, caffeine isn't proven to be bad for you in moderation 1-2(though that's pushing it) cups a day

200-400mg which equal to roughly 2-4 cups of coffee is recommended dosage. 500-700mg (4-7 cups of coffee) can start to show side effects and/or possible adverse health effects. (Can be higher depending on your tolerance)
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/NU00600

Quote:
Also.. fat loss supplements are crap, but don't take my word for it, I'm just very biased because all they do is either a) dehydrate you b) dehydrate you or c) **** up your metabolism and cause hormone level abnormalities see hypothyroidism for example

It works fine as a weight loss supplement. Also why aren't 1/2 the people in the US including me suffering from hypothyroidism? Caffeine interfers with T3 levels for only a short period of time.
http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/content/full/13/7/1195
http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=caffeine+cause+hypothyroidism&fr=yfp-t-501&u=www.csa.com/discoveryguides/thyroid/overview.php&w=caffeine+cause+hypothyroidism&d=fI16e_H_QdUx&icp=1&.intl=us

Quote:
blood pressure

Temporarily
Quote:
increasing the risk of heart disease

eating mcdonalds does but that doesn't seem to stop people
Quote:
cholesterol

Filtered coffee doesn't which is what a majority of people drink.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/02/28/coffee-cholesterol.aspx
Quote:
homocysteine

stay with in the 200-400mg range, be active and you will be just fine.
Quote:
arrhythmias and stress levels

Those are properties of caffeine, no big deal, take lower dosages if you want to avoid those effects

Last edited by ironmaiden708 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:47 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah, just as I kinda figured. My biggest issue with it is about the heart and as well as the 'mild' addiction if you will. I personally drank red bull once and it put me to sleep. I was looking into it when I read that it could help with fat loss, I won't lie, I am trying to cheat when it comes to losing fat, but not at the cost of my health. I was also trying to find out if there is a food, something edible, not drinkable that contains caffeine in it as an alternative to having to drink coffee... no way I'm staining my teeth :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:55 pm 

Take caffeine pills. Redbull, or any energy drink has various amounts of caffeine in it. I guess chocolate has trace amounts in it. But i wouldn't depending on that for a obvious reason.

Quote:
My biggest issue with it is about the heart and as well as the 'mild' addiction if you will.

Don't put too much thought into that, anything can have adverse health effects if you abuse it. Steroids as an example will NOT hurt you if you don't abuse them. Having mcdonalds will not hurt you if you have it once in a while. While having to much purified water can kill you.

Last edited by ironmaiden708 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:04 pm 

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19485&highlight=#19485 Heres a short post I wrote a couple weeks back about caffeine and bodybuilding performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:15 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

ironmaiden708 wrote:
http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19485&highlight=#19485 Heres a short post I wrote a couple weeks back about caffeine and bodybuilding performance.

Yeah I read this after I posted my topic, thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

caffine is great for people without blood bressure problems. if you already are at risk of having or have high blood pressure than i wouldnt rteccomend you take it. other than that its good for you.