ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:06 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Normally after a workout, I have a protein shake, with some carbs to help spike my insulin and get out of a catabolic state. If I'm going to eat dinner as well, I give it at least an hour or so after the protein shake before I eat anything else so my body has a chance to use the whey and sugars. But that's after a weight training workout or after MMA training (which is both long and intense).

What about after a steady-state cardio workout?

For example, I did 3-minute rounds of jumping rope today. A good workout but pretty much steady-state cardio. I came home and skipped the protein shake and just had dinner. I realized I really don't what the best eating plan is for these kind of workouts. Now that it's getting warmer I expect to do a lot more - mostly long bike rides but also jumping rope and walking.

I'm on a low carb diet most days, and I'm trying to shed a little of the fat I picked up laying around in the hospital, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:48 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Just my opinion (and the way I've been doing it for years), but I normally go lowered carb my self, and like you, aren't really looing to gain mass (if I gain some, fine, but not overly trying) After an LSD workout , I just eat a normal meal, which is usually meat and veg, around 3-400 kcal, and might add a piece of fruit. But I don't really worry too much about hi-glycemic carbs to it. Maybe I should, but it's worked fine for me over the years.
Tim