ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 day diet
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:27 am 

http://www.3daysdiet.com/
Anybody ever heard of this? Sounds to good to be true. And the science behind it looks to be junk.

Last edited by ironmaiden708 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:05 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Never heard of that one. At a quick glance, (be it calorie manipulation or whatever) is that it's a 3 day block of undereating, then a 3 day block of normal eating. The basis might be something like Dr. Squats Zig Zag Diet, or a cyclical Ketogenic die (obviously not regulating carbs, rather calories) in an attempt to keep the metabolic process from being slowed down by the undereating days. Just my take on it. However, not anything I would try, especially w/ their examples.
tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:09 am 

I could see how it would work. It's extremely low calories for 3 days at a time but still relatively nutritious. 3 days is not long enough to trigger a starvation effect. On the down side I think it would lead to binge eating and would be hard keep the weight off.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:17 am 

If anybody would care to try it and tell me how well it works that would be great. Of course more than 1/2 will be water weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:25 am 

ironmaiden708 wrote:
If anybody would care to try it and tell me how well it works that would be great. Of course more than 1/2 will be water weight.

It has to be. It's a physical impossibility to lose 10lbs in 3 days otherwise. No matter how you cut it, it still takes a 3500 cal cut to lose 1 lb of fat. Even drinking nothing but water for 3 days would not produce more that 1-2 lbs of fat lose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:28 am 

This is what they claim:

Quote:
3 Day Diet Plan is used for 3 days at a time. This diet normally used by doctors and military. These diet uses all natural products, no pills or nasty shaky. If you follow the diet correctly you can lose up to 10 lbs. in 3 days and 40 pounds in a month. The 3 day diet focuses on mixing certain types of foods that create a reaction in your digestive system. The chemicals are supposed to boost your metabolism and help you burn fat at a higher rate than usual.

40lbs in a month I see that occuring by eating ice cream, definitely. I should just change my diet sticky to eat ice cream and drink coffee....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:55 am 

ironmaiden708 wrote:
This is what they claim:

Quote:
3 Day Diet Plan is used for 3 days at a time. This diet normally used by doctors and military. These diet uses all natural products, no pills or nasty shaky. If you follow the diet correctly you can lose up to 10 lbs. in 3 days and 40 pounds in a month. The 3 day diet focuses on mixing certain types of foods that create a reaction in your digestive system. The chemicals are supposed to boost your metabolism and help you burn fat at a higher rate than usual.

40lbs in a month I see that occuring by eating ice cream, definitely. I should just change my diet sticky to eat ice cream and drink coffee....

That's bull$h!t.

http://www.3daysdiet.com/cleveland_clin ... y_diet.htm

On this page they say:

"Generally, this diet is not viewed as a healthy or sustainable plan. Much of the weight loss is caused by severe reduction in carbohydrate intake, which means that dieters experience mainly water loss. There is also an extreme reduction in caloric intake. Once the three days is over, regaining any lost weight is almost inevitable."

"The long term affects of weight loss and being healthy come from gradual weight loss diets. It is better to lose weight slowly and steadily of 1 to 2 pounds a week instead of a few pounds in a short stipulated period of one day or three days or one week. Furthermore, those who lose weight slowly and steadily are those who are more likely to keep the weight off as well."

The only way to lose 40 lbs in a month is with surgery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:40 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Slightly off topic but this reminded me of a fantastically stupid diet plan I just discovered through a work mate, who goes to 'diet optimisation classes' (sounds expensive!).

You have 'green days' and 'red days'.

Red days are basically all protein. You are aloud a tiny bit of carbs, but not a lot at all (I think the example she gave was a low fat yogurt).

Green Days are all carbs, no protein (or, a very little amount). And that's it, really. Easy, huh?

You just do a few red days, and then a few green days. If your vegetarian, you don't need red days (i'm not even joking).

My theory is that the head of the diet or diet class read somewhere that when you eat loads of protein, you don't need as many carbs, and when you eat lots of carbs, they 'spare' a lot of protein, so you don't need as much. They obviously took on board peoples complaints about it being too complicated too, so came up with the red day green day thing...

* sighs *

Oh.. I did ask the question, "what about fat?". Apparently you don't need fat. Fat = bad.

When something like this happens to me, I miraculously summon the will power to say something like, "well... i guess there's SOME logic in it... all you can do is monitor your results and see how it goes"

deep down i'm screaming,

"JUST EAT LESS AND DO SOME EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem is diet and exercise are complicated and there is a lot of effort required. That is why people are fat. If it was simplistic and easy nobody would be fat.