ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:26 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I read (maybe here) that one should drink an ounce of water for every two pounds of body weight.

Someone said that it's too much, you'll flush out all of the vitamins in your body, so take a multi every day; and don't forget, there's also water in food.

Q.: How much water is too much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:43 pm 

I'd say the best thing to do is just remain hydrated throughout the day, have some water every 1-3 hours (depending on how hot it is, and whether or not you're out in the sun and how active you're being, if doing intense activity, frequent (15-30 minutes) sips would be the best choice). That's my 2 cents.

The RDA of 8 glasses of water is too much for most people just so you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:47 pm 

The rule of thumb that I use is 1 litre/1000 calories expended. That takes into account activity level and not size and it closely matches water output. Of course in hot climates you sweat more and you need more water.

here's an article on water intoxication which is what happens if you drink too much water:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Also look up "hyponatremia"

Caffeine and alcohol are diuretics so they should not be counted fully as part of your water input. They can keep you hydrated though.

To answer your direct question, it does flush sodium out of your system so you may need to supplement to keep your electrolytes in balance. I don't think vitamins are an issue.

Try to match your input to your output. Your body will adjust retention and absorption to achieve balance. A good rule of thumb is that you should urinate 4 times a day and your urine should be light yellow.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:46 pm 

Quote:
here's an article on water intoxication which is what happens if you drink too much water:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

thats a very hard thing to acheive as stated in the article:
Quote:
Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume more than ten litres over the course of just a few minutes, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed.
I wouldn't worry about potential death from it. Just go alongw/ their guidlines or just by what your body is telling you and you should be ok