ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:34 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Thought I'd post this for the same reason I stickied Stu's post on the various carbs. We're always being asked "what should I eat?" Here is a good list of a FEW general guidelines that could be applied to just about any "diet".
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... habits.htm
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:00 pm 
n00b
n00b

Quote:
4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

Am i incorrect in saying that it's completely unrealistic to obtain all of your carbohydrates from fruits and vegetables?

I've calculated my carbohydrate requirements and i need in the region of 100g of carbohydrates per meal (based on 6 meals/day).

100g of oats = 66g of carbohydrates.

100g of carrots = 8g of carbohydrates.

i can hardly eat over 1kg of veg per meal can i? Could someone please clear this one up?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:24 pm 

cha1n wrote
Am i incorrect in saying that it's completely unrealistic to obtain all of your carbohydrates from fruits and vegetables?
End
The OP got that from Berardi's 7 habits article, and the intent, and probably should be so worded, is get MOST of your carbohydrates in the form of fruits and vegetable, use the starches very sparingly, especially if trying to loose fat. And in a word, yes, I believe you are incorrect. I have no problem doing it whatsoever. The use of fruit will kick up the carbs. While not being as calorie or carb dense as , say potatoes, rice, they're much more nutrient dense. That's the whole point of that statement.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:40 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

It is super easy to get all your carbs from fruits and vegetables. What is often overlooked or misunderstood is that beans (legumes in general) are a fruit. And never forget the all mighty potato.

1 large Potato = 64g of carbs (vegetable)
1 cup Kidney Beans = 38g of carbs (fruit)
1 large Banana = 29g of carbs (fruit)

Total Carbs = 131 – 524 calories and near 0 fat.

For a snack, have an apple that gives you 20g of carbs.

If you get all your carbs from fruits and vegetables, you can eliminate pastas which are typically refined foods.

Still, I wouldn’t overlook grains such as rice.....just make sure its brown rice and not the processed white rice that is so predominant today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:17 pm 

Exactly Chris. Look at Stu's post that we stickied. Breaks it down in detail. The point Berardi is making, and it's clearer in some of his other works, is that while the true whole grains (not that sugary breakfast ceral garbage) and legumes and root vegetable are decent food choices, because of the density, it's best to use in smaller portions.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:40 pm 
n00b
n00b

Sorry for asking but what do you mean by the grain/potato density?

I'm unsure if it's worth starting a new post for this as I don't want to ruin this sticky, but my current diet get about 50-60% of its carbohydrates from basmati rice (it is white in appearance but has a lower GI than white rice, it has a GI of 58) and the rest is probably whole wheat pasta and potatoes.

I currently consume very little fruit/veg and like I stated previously find it hard to figure out how I could obtain all of my carbs from it.

These are my current calorie requirements:

3250 calories/day

2080 calories - 520g (carbohydrates) 64%
682.5 calories - 171g (protein) 21%
487.5 calories - 54g (fat) 15%

Can anyone give an example meal of how I could get 450g (minus my 70g of carbs in my oats for breakfast) split over the remainder of my meals, without having to eat stupidly large portions per meal?

I agree that potatoes contain more carbs than most vegetables, but I thought I read that potatoes were to be avoided? (no idea why if I'm honest).

The last obstacle is that the texture of fruit/veg makes me gag, so the only way I can consume them is if they are blended. Would having vegetable/lentil soup 5 times a day 7 days a week be a problem? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:01 pm 

Why are you at 3200 kcal? Are you trying to gain weight. The Berardi habits were for those trying to shed fat and keep it off.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:15 pm 
n00b
n00b

I am trying to gain weight.

Does that mean that I shouldn't try and obtain the majority of my carbs from fruit/veg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:05 pm 

I would still try and limit the processed stuff, but yes, go for the calories, and the starchy carbs (rice, potatoes, yams, beans) are all good things to up our calories.
Tim

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]