ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:38 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

There are lots of glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM supplements on the market here, and I'm not really sure which one to go for. Some of them are just one of those three, some are a combination of a pair, some are just glucosamine. None of them are very cheap, so I want to choose carefully.

Typically I see this recommended:

Glucosamine: 1500mg/day
Chondroitin Sulfate: 800-1200mg/day
MSM: Anywhere from 100-200mg/day to 2000mg/day

What's a good amount and ratio for all of these?

Thanks,

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:07 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, first off, before ratio's and all, you have to know why you're using it. It's typically used to rebuild cartidledge, and "rebuild" so to speak, your joint. I took it for my hip, which it didn't help. What the doctor told me is that due to circumstances, there wasn't any cartidledge to rebuild, and what I had was degenerative. However, at that same time, I also had a cranky shoulder. It got better. It also, typically, takes a week or so to "kick in". What was recommended to me was "Osteo-Biflex", a combo of G and C. I haven't been around it for a while, and haven't looked recently, but lately I've have nticed most brands throwing in MSM into the mix. I'm going to searh on that myself. I did see an infomercial the other day, some guy is selling an updated version of "snake-oil" and claims it's the only clinically accepted combination of G and C, with "pure" ingredients, and all else are no good. It comes in can's, and you had to call to get the price. I see red flags all over the place here. Called "Supple"
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:15 pm 

My right kneecap is bothering me and the joint itself feels achy, and that when I took glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM in the past when this happened it felt better.

So I'm thinking of doing it again if it doesn't pass in the next few days. But I've got choices ranges from a supp with 2000mg of MSM and 1500mg glucosamine and 100mg of chondroiten to ones with with 100/1500/1000. They all seem to settled on 1500mg a day of glucosamine but the MSM/chondroitin amounts vary widly.