All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:17 pm 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 104547.htm

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:01 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

It's another case of false advertising/marketing. That got shot down here in the US a year or so ago. The Dairy Assoc was running these ads about "milk your diet" to aid in fat loss. While I have nothing against dairy, it's misrepresentation that it aids infat loss. The bottom line here was they had to pull those ads.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:38 pm 

If this happened a year ago, I wonder why the research is just being published now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

stuward wrote:
If this happened a year ago, I wonder why the research is just being published now.

That's because most journals set their articles 1 year in advance sometimes 2 years. My Psych professor said it really depends on the journal, if it's a prestigious one about 2 years unless your research is groundbreaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:00 am 

Stu, also, were in different countries. You're a Canuk, were Yanks down here south of the border, and I guess they didn't need a published paper for the FDA to smell marketing hype. Same thing happened when Atkins returned about 5 or 6 years ago. All the fast food place were wrapping burgers in lettuce calling it low carb, which is borderline, but legitimate, then KFC came out saying it's orginal recipe was the utimate in low carb, and that lasted all of a week. They shut that down right now.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If they would have used the rotisserie chicken they could have gotten away with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:59 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

That doesn't mean you shouldn't drink milk, you just dont go chugging down gallons to burn fat. And milk is usually high in protein which is going to help the metabolism regardless. Since when do you guys buy into what the tv says? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:36 am 

I agree, milk is not a bad food, just doesn't help burn fat to any major degree. As to KFC, the rotisserie chicken, yes, it would have fit the bill. I'm surprized they didn't push it. But it is kind of hard to find. I went to several of the outlets down here and they don't sell it. Just the original and crispy for some reason.Possibly because it's not all that popular down here,
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:39 am 

brook011 wrote:
That doesn't mean you shouldn't drink milk, you just dont go chugging down gallons to burn fat. And milk is usually high in protein which is going to help the metabolism regardless. Since when do you guys buy into what the tv says? :)

Any time I see something that refutes bad marketting or obsolete conventional wisdom, I like to point it out. Most people here know that dairy is not a diet food but I see so many people on other sites promoting milk as a bulking agent that I felt this needed to highlighted. Protein is a bulking agent, excess milk is a fattening agent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:34 am 

The ratio of protein to calorie content inside of milk IMO does not justify its use in any diet whether it's bulking or cutting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:16 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

ironmaiden708 wrote:
The ratio of protein to calorie content inside of milk IMO does not justify its use in any diet whether it's bulking or cutting.

What about when your arm breaks from calcium deficiencies when benching? Is it justifiable then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:24 pm 

No, that is a ridiculous example btw. But to answer your question a good diet will get you all the calcium you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:26 pm 

I said excess dairy. No one needs more than 2-3 glasses a day. If you eat enough green leafy veg you probably don't even need that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:29 pm 

Well, as to calcium, you can get plenty from greens, cheese, etc. I disagree about about the protein to calorie ration, so do most nutitionists, in particular, Doc Sears of the Zone and the Drs. Eades of Protein Power, both cardioogists BTW. If your really worried about milk fat, use skim of 2%, and I personally wouldn't use a lot of it, but now and then, yeah, it's pretty healthy.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:23 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

ironmaiden708 wrote:

Actually, Skim Milk has the ideal and classic 60/40 ratio that bodybuilders have been using for years in their pre and post workout shakes. One cup of skim milk has no fat, 13g of carbs and 9g of protein. A near perfect 60/40 carb/protein split.

Further since calcium is required for muscle contraction and nerve conduction, getting a little extra from skim milk is definitely a good thing.