ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:33 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

It works good in that situation. It's the gallon a day recommendations that I have a problem with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:44 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
It works good in that situation. It's the gallon a day recommendations that I have a problem with.

A gallon a day???? :eek:

That's a problem! I've heard of a gallon of water a day, and that could be beneficial......but not millk!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:50 pm 

I haven't seen anyone here recommend it but it's rampant on T-Nation.

Apparently Paul Anderson used to do it so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:57 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

A lot of the old timers used the old milk and squat thing. JC Hise and Mark Berry were the ones that popularized it backin the 30's. They also ate a lot, and I mean alot, of raw, red meat and raw eggs.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:28 pm 

Quote:
Actually, Skim Milk has the ideal and classic 60/40 ratio that bodybuilders have been using for years in their pre and post workout shakes. One cup of skim milk has no fat, 13g of carbs and 9g of protein. A near perfect 60/40 carb/protein split.
Well I was wrong on a bulkers diet since it really doesn't matter what you eat. If I was to get milk just get whole milk, no need to skip on the fat, it will help slow down the digestion and gives energy for a longer period of time.

Quote:
Further since calcium is required for muscle contraction and nerve conduction, getting a little extra from skim milk is definitely a good thing.
I'm sure my muscles would contract optimally with out added milk in my diet.

Last edited by ironmaiden708 on Mon May 05, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:46 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
I'm sure my muscles would contract optimally with out added milk in my diet.

As long as your diet provides an adequate amount of calcium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:42 am 

would a gallon of water a day be beneficial? I remember when I was in the army they worried about water induced coma from flushing the bodies electrolites people can die from that. I read that 95% of our countries population is dehydrated a 100% of the time. Thats crazy. I don't like water and as I type this I'm sure I'm dehydrated but who wants to have to go to the bathroom 2-3 times every hour?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:03 am 

Manofsteel319 wrote:
would a gallon of water a day be beneficial? I remember when I was in the army they worried about water induced coma from flushing the bodies electrolites people can die from that. I read that 95% of our countries population is dehydrated a 100% of the time. Thats crazy. I don't like water and as I type this I'm sure I'm dehydrated but who wants to have to go to the bathroom 2-3 times every hour?

The general rule of thumb is 1 litre/1000 calories expended, so for a large active person 1 gallon (3.78 litres) might be reasonable. Water can come from sources like food and drinks other than water so you don't have to actually drink that much. Of course water needs go up in the heat. If you are going to the bathroom 2-3 times an hour, you have a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:49 am 

haha stu. lmao ok the 2-3 times an hour. That was when I was in the army and they were pushing water down our throats. I drink milk I like it but am cutting down to skim. whatever. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:31 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I read an article recently which stated that modern farming methods have drastically reduced the amount of CLA in milk. CLA content in dairy products is down to 1/4 of the lowest effective dose. This came about due to the primary diet of the cows. Instead of being 100% green grass, it is typically grain and hay.

CLA has been shown to reduce body fat and increase lean muscle tissue in the long run. This means it’s not an overnight supplement, but continued intake for a few months has been shown to produce results.

With CLA levels drastically lower than they used to be, this could explain why milk may have aided in fat loss years ago, but fails to do so now.

The original article I read was in Flex concerning CLA supplementation. But here is an online article that talks about lower CLA levels found today.

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publicat ... 149072.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:35 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
Manofsteel319 wrote:

The general rule of thumb is 1 litre/1000 calories expended, so for a large active person 1 gallon (3.78 litres) might be reasonable. Water can come from sources like food and drinks other than water so you don't have to actually drink that much. Of course water needs go up in the heat. If you are going to the bathroom 2-3 times an hour, you have a problem.

Haha I really should check my intake of water. I am the guy thats going every hour to the bathroom. I don't really track how much im taking in, as I use it to control hunger and well, I love cold water. Our workplace has a cold water filtered system, so I'm almost always filling up and drinking another 20oz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:56 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know that Mark Rippetoe says (or has said) that skinny kids could benefit from drinking a gallon of milk a day when bulking. Maybe that's where it comes from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:46 pm 

TheHeb wrote:
I know that Mark Rippetoe says (or has said) that skinny kids could benefit from drinking a gallon of milk a day when bulking.

It's an easy way to ensure you're getting enough calories in a balanced ratio, that's for sure. A gallon of whole milk, according to fitday, is:

2399 kcals
130g fat
182g carbs
128g protein

If you're drinking that every day on top of 2000-2500 or so calories from other food, you're certainly taking in enough to grow. Add that into a "squat 3x a week at 3 x 5 x current 5RM" and I think you'd stop being a skinny kid for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:43 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Boyer Coe, a.k.a. The Rajin’ Cajun (born 1946), former Mr. America, Mr. World, Mr. Universe, etc, was a firm believer in drinking lots of milk. He says he drank at least a gallon, and up to a gallon and a half a day. Coe said he one day asked Jack LaLanne (born 1914) how they would eat back in his day to gain size. LaLanne said, “We would actually go to the slaughterhouse and drink blood. We believed that had the vitamins and amino acids……but then we stopped”.

Coe asked why they stopped. LaLanne said, “One day I’m drinking this glass jar of blood and I almost choked on this clump. Afterward, I realized it was a blood clot and I never could drink it again.”

Yeah, I’ll stick with milk and whey powder. Unreal what the hardcore did back in the day. Coe even said he read about a Mr. America competitor that ate Crisco shortening to gain weight? :eek:

Last edited by Chris_A on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:48 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

....oops, hit the wrong button.