ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diet evaluation
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:14 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'll start off by saying that I know what foods are good to eat but my problem is I am unsure of amount. I am currently trying to put on as much muscle as I possibly can while also minimizing fat gain. Ideally I would add muscle but current about of body fat would not change, I do know that my body fat percentage would change though which I am not opposed to.

Here is my current diet:

1- Protein mix (whey, casien, soy) w/ water, small bowl of cheerios + 2% milk.

Workout

2- Whey protein mix w/ water, 2 whole wheat toast, 2 whole eggs, 1 cup of coffee + 2% milk

3- Handful of dry roasted peanuts, orange or smoothie (2% milk, full fat yogurt, banana, strawberries, mango, pineapple, honey)

4- .5 chicken breast, brown rice or hamburger (93% lean, whole wheat bun, mustard)

5- Handful of dry roasted peanuts, orange

6- .5 chicken breast, brown rice or hamburger (93% lean, whole wheat bun, mustard)

7- Protein mix (whey, casien, soy) w/ water

Note: Protein drinks are not the meal replacement kind, they have 0 carbs in them.

So am I eating enough to put on muscle or not enough? Any help is much appreciated.

Current weight- 165/170 lbs if that has any influence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:21 pm 

It looks pretty good, the food isn't garbage in any way. I would recommend 'real' food for breakfast instead of Cheerios. Eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, etc. Also where are the veggies? I see not a single one in there. Do you take mulitvitamins or fish oil?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

ironmaiden708 wrote:
It looks pretty good, the food isn't garbage in any way. I would recommend 'real' food for breakfast instead of Cheerios. Eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, etc. Also where are the veggies? I see not a single one in there. Do you take mulitvitamins or fish oil?

Yea, I take both of those. I just haven't been able to get a steamer set-up going and getting fresh veggies w/o transportation (college student) consistently can be tough. Also, the cheerios and protein drink are just to get me some quick protein and carbs before I workout at 6am; the second meal is my real breakfast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:40 am 

Quote:
Yea, I take both of those. I just haven't been able to get a steamer set-up going and getting fresh veggies w/o transportation (college student) consistently can be tough.
Well thats no excuse, eat them raw, they are best raw, most nutrition in them that way.
Quote:
Also, the cheerios and protein drink are just to get me some quick protein and carbs before I workout at 6am; the second meal is my real breakfast.
Gotcha, I thought that maybe you were doing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:30 am 

ironmaiden hes a college student lol meaning he probably a doesnt have transportation other than his own two feet and b probably lives in a dorm where he has a room with a small fridge and a microwave with no stove lol. Hey do what you can mr wonderful but veggies are really good for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:09 am 

Quote:
ironmaiden hes a college student lol meaning he probably a doesnt have transportation other than his own two feet and b probably lives in a dorm where he has a room with a small fridge and a microwave with no stove lol. Hey do what you can mr wonderful but veggies are really good for you.
Walk, use one of gods great gifts to mankind. And if he does have a fridge then they can be stored.

If there is a huge problem with getting veggies and is next to impossible to get, then get or make veggie juices and supplement with vitamins. Preferably make then so they are healthier and are more cost effective.

Last edited by ironmaiden708 on Wed May 14, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:01 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Don't forget canned vegetables. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using them.
Quote:
we confirmed canned fruits and vegetables are, in general, nutritionally equivalent to their fresh and frozen counterparts.

http://nutrican.fshn.uiuc.edu/findings.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

Canned veg, never thought of that, thanks. I think I will start buying a some of that. Also, my transportation problems aren't that bad it's really just an issue of time which I sometimes don't have especially at the end of the term. I know I should put more effort into my vitamin consumption, during summer break it shouldn't be a problem.