ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Protein brands
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:11 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Whats a good solid protein with a decent taste beside optimum nutrition? Their price increases are killing me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:20 pm 

Quote:
Their price increases are killing me.
That will prolly happen with all brands no matter what you go with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:23 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

yeah, 70$ for 10lbs is rough, and my extreeeeeme chocolate milks almost out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Get it at Wal-mart. Much better deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:37 am 

Quote:
yeah, 70$ for 10lbs is rough, and my extreeeeeme chocolate milks almost out.
$70? Thats not too bad when it comes to whey esspecially for ON brand. It would cost me $115 to get that stuff at gnc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:52 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ironman wrote:
Get it at Wal-mart. Much better deal.

Gotta agree with that! I get all my Whey from Wal-Mart. Amazon.com can be a little cheaper, but if you have to pay shipping, you end up paying more. You can get a 5lb tub for $35 (USD) at WalMart. And it actually tastes great. WalMart also has smaller tubs (about 28 scoops ~ 2lbs) for $13.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:16 am 

What do you guys take whey protein for? You trying to get big?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:44 am 

Quote:
Get fast acting, conveinant, required protein without having to cook up some steak. Your goal doesn't have to be getting 'huge' for you to take protein supplementation. Sprinters, distance, avg. joe, or anyone whether athlete or not is OK/recommended for them to take protein.

Last edited by ironmaiden708 on Wed May 14, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:46 am 

hmmm roger that. I thought you only needed to supplement protein creatine etc when you were trying to put yourself over the top. Ok great idea haha I'll be lazy haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:54 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Quote:
Get fast acting, conveinant, required protein without having to cook up some steak.

Agreed. Especially the fast acting part. Protein is vital, not only for gaining lean muscle tissue, but also for maintaining it. Right after a workout, your body is inclined to slip into a catabolic state due to excess cortisol. Studies have shown that having a shake with whey protein (fast acting as it is easily digestible) not only blunts the cortisol response, but shifts your body into an anabolic state. This means that your shake will be immediately put to use to repair, maintain, and increase your lean muscle mass (as well as replenish glycogen stores) thus thwarting your body’s natural inclination to cannibalize lean tissue after a workout.

Besides, if you're following a diet to gain lean muscle that prescribes at least 1g of protein per lb of body weight, you quickly see how inconvenient it is to use whole foods to achieve such a goal. One shake of 1 scoop of whey (mixed with 8oz milk) provides more protein than a can of tuna fish. You can down a shake in 20 seconds, and it’s much easier than eating tuna or chicken all day long.

For bulking, 2g of protein per lb of body weight is often prescribe, and at that point whey shakes are a real blessing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:35 pm 

Quote:
For bulking, 2g of protein per lb of body weight is often prescribe, and at that point whey shakes are a real blessing.
Thats a ridiculous amounts, steroid users won't even benefit from that. 1.5g/lb is pushing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:20 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Quote:
Thats a ridiculous amounts, steroid users won't even benefit from that. 1.5g/lb is pushing it.

Possibly, but none-the-less, the 2g per lb of bodyweight rule of thumb is a bodubuilding staple that has been used for many, many years, and is still used today. Pick up a copy of Flex or Muscle and Fitness and that is what you'll see.

Jay Cutler says:
Quote:
Altogether, I was consuming more than 600 grams [g] of protein each day while I was dieting.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _n16034010

That's nearly 3g per lb!

Quote:
For you, here's my rule of thumb: No fewer than 2g of protein per pound of bodyweight. So if you weigh 200 pounds, your goal should be a minimum of 400g of quality protein every day.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak20.htm

Quote:
Adjust for your bodyweight by using these guidelines: 14 calories per pound of bodyweight, 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight and 0.5 g of carbs per pound of bodyweight.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _n19041839

However, there are studies that indicate that only 1g to 1.3g of protein per lb is sufficient.

Quote:
In another study, two groups of men consumed different amounts of protein (1.4 g and 2.8 g per kg body weight per day) during a prolonged period of intense physical training. Only the group on the high protein diet significantly increased fat-free body mass.

http://www.lsus.edu/weightlifting/Paper ... ented5.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:54 pm 

Few recommend more that 1.5g /lb except during cutting close to competition when up to 2g is recommended (Tom Venuto).
John Berardi reccomends 1 g/lb as a minimum but doesn't have an upper limit. However, none of his programs come close to 2g/lb.

Jay Cutler is 274 # in competition, 310 off season so 600G is 2g/lb and he said it was while dieting. Therefore he's in line with the above recommendation.

Flex and Muscle and Fitness are not reliable resources.

Last edited by stuward on Wed May 14, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:20 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Flex and M & F aren't medical journals, no. But those publications do show what bodybuilders are doing. While the 2g per lb is still prevalent, over the past few years there has been a shift to back that off to 1g per lb (which is what I follow). Namely, Chris Aceto has strongly advocated the 1g per lb which at first was met with resistance, but Aceto has made quite the name for himself as a BB trainer.

But it should be noted that even Aceto says the 1g is a minimum. No upper limit is specified.
http://www.getbig.com/articles/protein3.htm

Old habits die hard, and you still see many that adhere to the 2g rule of thumb. Granted, just because its been done for years doesn't mean it's right. But it can not be denied that it has been done this way for a long time. Arnold himself advocated at least 1.5g per lb.

Still, if it were THE way (2g/lb) then there wouldn't be so much debate about it today. The fact that there is so much debate is because it has been done this way for so long, yet today, people are scientifically questioning the reason of it. As I said originally, 2g is often prescribed. I never said it is always prescirbed, or that 2g isn't challenged. I've been reading various BB periodicals for years, and as far back as I can remember, I've always read that 2g is a great rule of thumb for bodybuilding. But I do concede that there are scientific studies that have shown that less than that is adequate.......but it should be noted that those studies weren't done on bodybuilders with monstrous hypertrohy in mind. Typically the study rests on strength or endurance gains.

Check this Google Search. There you will find advocates for 2g/lb, those that are against it, and those that are simply wondering who is right. It is a much debated topic.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2 ... 22+protein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:15 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Chris_A wrote
Flex and M & F aren't medical journals, no. But those publications do show what bodybuilders are doing. While the 2g per
End

Don't forget who owns and edits M and F and Flex, ummm, the Weider's, who sell supplements. I would tend to think their recommendations might be on the high side.
I do agree with the 1 gr/lb as a minimum for a highly active athlete though. Te average Joe may not require that though.
Tim