ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:46 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

On the low carb days, don't really worry much about fat consum[tion, as long as you are consciousty watching sources. .On you're carb up days, try and decrease the fat percentage, the two aren't really good compadres, if you know what I mean, but no need to go crazy overanalyzing things.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:35 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Tim - on my low-carb days I don't watch the fat at all. I usually get around 55-60% or so of my calories from fat, 35-40% or so from protein and 5% or less from carbs.

It's the carb-up days I'm worried about. I'm just concerned I'm undermining my own goals if I'm still getting so many calories from fat when it's supposedly a "carb day." There is just so much fat-free carb stuff I can...after 3 oranges and 2 bananas and a pint of strawberries I'm kinda tired of fruit...and "low fat fish" is kind of a contrary goal to "eat lots of Omega-3s" obviously. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:32 am 

Peter, remember that calories count. Fat is high calories. Better is to calculate your calories so that you are below maintenance on the low-carb days and above on the high carb days. Your fat and protein would remain relatively constant.

For example, assume 3000 is maintenance:

Low carb days:
Protein 250 g = 1000 calories
Fat 150 g = 1350 calories
Carbs 50 g = 200 cal
Total 2550 cal

High Carb days:
Protein 250 g = 1000 calories
Fat 150 g = 1350 calories
Carbs 300 g = 1200 cal
Total 3550 cal

My numbers are just examples for ease of calculation.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:13 am 

Pete, I created an excel calculator which is in depth in how you calculate your total calories for the day. You input the grams of protein, fiber, fat, total carbs into the individual columns and tells you total calories from that form of calories and tells you the caloric ratio (F:C:P). I also created a simple caloric calculator, fat ratio calculator (M:P:S), and omega ratio calculator (3:6). If you would like to try it I can send you the link for it you just need excel program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:15 pm 

stuward wrote:
Peter, remember that calories count. Fat is high calories. Better is to calculate your calories so that you are below maintenance on the low-carb days and above on the high carb days. Your fat and protein would remain relatively constant.

So I do drop below maintenance most days even though my goal is bulking? Is that to prevent fat gain or trigger some fat loss on the carb down days?

I'm counting both calories and macronutrient grams. I usually eat around 3000 calories on low-carb days, 3500 on high carb days. I say "around" because I'm using Fitday but I know it's a false accuracy - lots of best-guess conversions to cups and ounces from grams, best-guess equivalents for foods I've never seen outside of Japan, etc. But I hadn't been putting such a wide caloric divide between my high carb and low carb days. I guessed on the total calories needed - I hate trying to figure out my activities and their caloric costs, especially since they vary so wildly. So I'm paying attention to my measurements and my scale. Around 3000 calories a day is slightly more than I need right now, based on some very slow weight gain.

Ironmaiden - that sounds pretty useful but I also think I'm getting the basics (calories from fat, carbs, protein) broken down by FitDay so I'm not sure I'd use it. Wish they'd track Omega 3s vs. Omega 6s, but they're too busy feeding me "See Your Abs" ads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:22 pm 

Peter, I was thinking back to your lose fat/gain muscle post. What I was describing was carb cycling. For bulking just stay in moderate surplus. (about 500 calories). If you're putting on too much fat, do carb cycling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:10 pm 

stuward wrote:
Peter, I was thinking back to your lose fat/gain muscle post. What I was describing was carb cycling. For bulking just stay in moderate surplus. (about 500 calories). If you're putting on too much fat, do carb cycling.

Ah, okay. I'm bulking but I'm doing it low carb most days, high-carb a few days. So it is carb cycling but not for weight loss. I've found my body reacts to high carbs by putting on fat, mostly, but can handle carb-cycling pretty well.