ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whipped Cream?
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I've been doing some research on famous bodybuilders from way back when and trying to figure out how they endured through way back when. I've come across someone by the name of Vince Gironda and am very intrigued by the information I've found on him and his teachings.

One thing in particular I found was that he recommended mixing protein powders, not with water or milk, but with whipped cream. His reason was that there were too many carbs in milk, and that whipped cream had none (I checked this, I found it had much less carbs but can't find any that have none)

http://www.musclenet.com/vincegirondadiet.htm

This sounds very unorthodox to me only because I've been keeping away from anything heavy in fats and whipped cream has plenty of saturated fat in it. I'm still doing loads of research into diet and what I should/shouldn't be eating, but I've accepted that as a weightlifter/bodybuilder, certain fats are very important and are a must.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c200q.html

Looking at that, I see how it'd scare anyone who isn't trying to put on weight, such as myself, away and they'd avoid whipped cream as much as possible. However I can't help but look at the protein (well, not so much with only 1.9 grams) and the amino acid count.

Can someone enlighten me on this? Should I mix whey protein with whipped cream?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:39 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Gironda was an icon, and very eccentric. he used to contribute to Peary Rader's old Ironman magazine, which, imho, was the best around at the time. It covered all aspects of the Iron game, not just bodybuilding. Gironda's specially was to take movie stars and Bodybuilders and rip them up for on screen performances and contests. Low car has been around for a long time, and Gironda had his own tweak on it. Probably one of the first to come up with the CKD or cyclical Ketogenic Diet. His take was 4 days on a high fat, high protein diet/ and one with mod P and C low fat.The cream/whipped creams fit this nicely. Might want to google him.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:49 pm 

Out of curiosity, I just googled him, and you'll find much more on his methods here
http://www.vincesgym.com
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks Tim, I've been all over sites with him but they seem to have limited information. The one you posted I have visited but doesn't have lots of information, I had to compile it from various sites.

So whipped cream and protein powder, I'll be trying that out then for sure, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:03 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Try flax meal or flax oil. Olive oil is good too. You can adjust the fat profile by mixing the 3 together to get the ratios you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:06 pm 

Yeah, there is a FAQ on that site, which is pretty accurate, but the take I get is they are selling his courses. Might want to check the arhives ast the old Ironman magazine, if there are any. Gironda wrote an article about every month or two.
When i started out in the early 60's, it and the old Strength and Health by Hoffman were the best soures out there.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:00 pm 

Don't be scared of saturated fats, as long as you are active and are balancing out your fat content then you will be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:54 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Don't be scared of saturated fats, as long as you are active and are balancing out your fat content then you will be good.

Active isn't a problem, I need to keep my diet in check. I eat healthy and lots of whole foods, but I think I may not be eating enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:18 pm 

Quote:
I eat healthy and lots of whole foods,
Well if you are eating good then don't worry about sat. fats.

Post your diet and your goals if you arn't sure if you are eating enough.