ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:23 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

From something I read....

"A 2001 study at the University of Texas found that lifters who drank a shake containing amino acids and carbohydrates before working out increased their protein synthesis (their ability to build muscle) more than lifters who drank the same shake after exercising. Since exercise increases bloodflow to tissues, the theory goes that having whey protein in your system when you work out may lead to a greater uptake of amino acids -- the building blocks of muscle -- in your muscle."

Before or After? Any opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:33 pm 

Do both. I make 1 big shake and start it before my workout, sip it during the workout and finish it after.

Read this: http://www.raisethebarr.net/index.php?o ... &Itemid=88

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:48 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I drink protein before and during my workout, and then have a protein-and-carb shake after.

Right before my workout I take 5g of BCAA.

During the workout I sip this:
Water
15g whey protein
5g L-Glutamine

Immediately after the workout I finish that shake and take another 5g of BCAA, usually adding an orange or a banana for carbs.

When I get home from the gym I have another shake.

My theory is better safe than sorry, and I'm less inclined to gulp a protein shake than water when I lift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:20 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
Do both. I make 1 big shake and start it before my workout, sip it during the workout and finish it after.

Stu

ugghhh that made my stomach sick just reading the sipping during the workout. cant see myself drinking anything flavored working out. Me personally, I've always had a small bowl of oatmeal pre-workout, but like at LEAST 30 minutes before. Oatmeal is really slow burning, so it will give you problems if you dont give it some digestion time. Post workout, immediately after, is usually a 25g protein shake and a banana or something along those lines. I try not to get into a routine, and often switch in other simple carbs pre-workout, and simple carbs post workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pre and post workout nutrition is important. Some people like some carbs during as well. The carbs depend on goals, but you always need protein.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:29 pm 

Have it before and afterwards and like previously stated you can sip it while going through lifting session. Mix it with some dextrose to aim for insulin spike to enhance absorption. Do that mainly if your not trying to drop fat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:17 pm 

What about crossfit style workouts ?

Sometimes even if I have water i feel very sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:21 pm 

brook011 wrote:
stuward wrote:

Stu

ugghhh that made my stomach sick just reading the sipping during the workout. cant see myself drinking anything flavored working out. Me personally, I've always had a small bowl of oatmeal pre-workout, but like at LEAST 30 minutes before. Oatmeal is really slow burning, so it will give you problems if you dont give it some digestion time. Post workout, immediately after, is usually a 25g protein shake and a banana or something along those lines. I try not to get into a routine, and often switch in other simple carbs pre-workout, and simple carbs post workout.

Just a quick thought, when I am racing I try to consume only 400kcal of sugar per hour. If you have any fibres or fats/proteins, your stomach won't empty both dehydrating you and sending blood to your stomach instead of to your muscles. 400kcal seems to be about the right amount for me to continue gastric emptying and processing of the sugar at the same time.

This is for a race, but surely when you work out you want to be working out at a high intensity, you can't necessarily do this if your stomach is full.

Someone is bound to prove me wrong though :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:30 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I use a lot of crossfit style metcon workouts, and the point of them is to build up endurance and work capacity, not necessarily for muscle growth, etc, and frankly, I can't eat before one of them, and don't worry about it because while they are intense, they are very short in duration, and if you get a post workout meal afterwards you shoud be fine. Most crossfitters think in the same vein as well.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:49 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I cant do anything with food in my stomach, I have to wait till its been in me at least an hour before I work out. HIIT running just makes me sick even thinking about it like that. The longest I ever work out is maybe 1hr 15mins to 1hr 30mins max, and thats because my weight training sets take 45mins to an hour, and my cardio takes 15mins to 30mins max. Any food either causes me to cramp, or it comes back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:06 pm 

I don't consider my workout shake to be food. I mix it very thin. 2 litres of water, 1 scoop of protein and sugar. It's no more hard on my stomach than water.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:49 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

duly noted wrote:
From something I read....

"A 2001 study at the University of Texas found that lifters who drank a shake containing amino acids and carbohydrates before working out increased their protein synthesis (their ability to build muscle) more than lifters who drank the same shake after exercising.
Before or After? Any opinions?

Was the shake made with free form amino acids or with a protein source such as whey? I think that I read somewhere once or twice that a cocktail of free form amino acids (about 6 grams or so with 24 grams of high glycemic carbs) was more effective at building muscle than the usual whey protein shake. GNC had a product based on this line of reasoning several years ago that I tried, but it tasted awful. I asked for and got my money back. And they no longer make it, so..

On days that I do weights, taking a protein shake or real food pre-workout isn't a problem. On cardio days it is if I don't wait an hour or so. I did Muscle Milk pre workout and Endurox R4 post workout a couple of years ago on weight days. They're both good products. Labrada makes a good line of protein bars that I use from time to time as well. But pasta or rice and beans before working out and an egg or tuna salad sandwich after works just as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:48 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

As has been said, do both.

The pre-workout shake/meal is of particular interest. Studies have shown that ingestion of carbohydrates before resistance training can blunt the cortisol response. This keeps your body from going catabolic and instead promotes anabolism.

In short, ingesting carbohydrates before a workout resulted in up to 22.5% more gains in muscular hypertrophic adaptation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11905937

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:38 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

So... Is it carbs or protein or both? I guess from what I've gathered, it would be both... before, during AND after! Am I correct in that assumption? Does anyone have a recipe they can share? Also, how long before? Seems like there is some leeway on the tail-end (post workout).