ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frozen Vegetables
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:34 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Any negatives about bagged frozen vegetables? Its just more convenient for myself to be able to have a bag with a large variety I can cook/steam up and have ready, as opposed to have to buy them all individually (I may even save money) and prepare them that way.

Post subject: Re: Frozen Vegetables
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:59 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

DavidJC wrote:
Any negatives about bagged frozen vegetables? Its just more convenient for myself to be able to have a bag with a large variety I can cook/steam up and have ready, as opposed to have to buy them all individually (I may even save money) and prepare them that way.

The negative - at least for me - is that frozen veggies don't taste as good as fresh. But in terms of nutritional value, frozen can be better than fresh in some instances. Freezing preserves many of the nutrients in veggies that can head south in fresh produce that isn't really fresh. For many people, shopping several times a week for fresh veggies isn't practical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:05 am 

Bagged is good. As already stated their nuitritional value is just as good as the fresh version. Just be sure you don't boil them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:39 am 

I tend to buy frozen veggies too.

I think it is impossible NOT to boil them as I find they boil themselves however you cook them.

Even pan frying them means they take so long to thaw that you end up pseudo boiling them anyway.

Are you suggesting to let them thaw and then eat raw?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, do not let them thaw, they can get all mushy that way. It is ok to boil them, but just do it enough to heat them. I like to put them in the microwave myself.

The only downside to frozen is they come out all mushy in some recipes. Like when I make stir fry, while it tastes good, the presentation for of the meal is pretty bad. Especially with soy sauce. It makes it look like dog food. I made a soup in the crock pot with some stew meat. One of the things I put in was frozen broccoli. It looked like I was eating wet grass clippings. It tasted good but looked awful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:58 am 
Rookie
Rookie

So the only thing to make sure is that they don't heat up too much, got that. How about steaming them? Maybe I don't know what steaming is, but that 'method' where you boil water, then place those bowls with holes in it (I know little of cooking and utensils) pour the vegetables in it, cover it up and let the water boil. That alright?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:52 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

My method was always to take my metal strainer, and put it inside a put with water below the strainer, and boil the water so that it steams through the strainer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:34 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Brooke beat me to it. Steaming them is probably the best way to go, as I've heard the microwave could possibly loose more nutrients,, but frankly, steaming or microwaving are fine, and quick, and easy.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:04 pm 

Quote:
The only downside to frozen is they come out all mushy in some recipes. Like when I make stir fry, while it tastes good, the presentation for of the meal is pretty bad. Especially with soy sauce. It makes it look like dog food. I made a soup in the crock pot with some stew meat. One of the things I put in was frozen broccoli. It looked like I was eating wet grass clippings. It tasted good but looked awful.
Are you saying that Chef Ramsay wouldn't approve?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He would probably throw his paring knife at me. :lol: