ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:23 pm 

Every day i take one tablespoon of flax oil and one tablespoon of olive oil. If i add a couple of fish oil capsules also, would that be too much for one day? Should i substitute fish oil for flax instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:44 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

What does flax oil actually do? I take a fish oil supplement in a bid to try and kick start my brain and get a lot of olive oil due to eating an inordinate amount of fried food (which'll no doubt come back to get me as i get a bit older and my metabolism slows down).

As i understand it fish oil is really good for you so I'd be surprised if taking it even along with the other oils is bad for you but I'm no expert on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:54 pm 

Flax oil has Omega -3's, the same as Fish oil, but i'm not sure if there are additional ingerdients.The benefits of these are are many- reduce the risk of heart disease,osteoporosis, and cancer to name a few. I don't know enough about nutrition to say whether taking all three is necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:12 pm 

Fish oil is higher quality Omega 3 than flax as it is already in DHA and EPA form. It's usually more potent as well. It is more expensive though. Flax contains ALA, the parent of DHA and EPA. It also contains lignans and fiber, which also have positive benefits. Therefore you should take flax anyway. It's best to get some of each oil. Fish oil is best taken in capsule form. You should get flax in oil or meal form and you can mix it with other foods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:19 pm 

I use the flax oil instead of the meal. I already have fish oil capsules but i got it for my dogs on the suggestion of my vet to shine up their coats and to cut down on dry skin. I was concerned the fish capsules would give me fish breath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:35 pm 
Novice
Novice

They make odorless fish oil capsules. That way when you burp you dont taste a damn sardine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:19 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Take the capsules with food and you wont burp it at all. I would never take these on an empty stomach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:03 am 

Fish oil pills.... what do they do for you. This question is more for ironmaiden since he knows a lot. I bought them and want to take them but not sure what they do. I know fish oil is good for you. Just not sure how. Not meant to hijack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:56 am 

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4137

Fish oil or krill oil are the best sources for Omega 3 other than real fish. Wild Salmon is the best source.

The links will give you more detail but in general, fish oil is anti-inflamatory and supports both fat loss and muscle gain. It's anti-inflamitory properties protect against many common medical conditions such as heart desease, arthritis, asthma, etc.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:01 am 

As Jim Carrey would say B-E-A- utiful!