ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:21 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

A recent study has shown that ingesting Green Tea Extract before exercise increases fat oxidation (fat burning) by 17%. Not bad.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18326618

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oolong does this as well. Tea is always something good to add in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:12 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

You know, you’d think ALL tea would have the same benefit since they are all from the same plant, the Camellia Sinensis.

Green Tea is made by picking the leaves and quickly drying and dehydrating them (pan fry or oven fire) without letting them oxidize.

Yellow Tea is like Green Tea but with a slower drying process where the leaves are allowed to turn yellowish before they are fully processed.

Black Tea is made by allowing the tea leaves to fully oxidize.

Oolong is in between Green and Black. Some oxidization is allowed, but not as much as with Black Tea. The amount of oxidization can be unique to each vendor.

Pu-erh is a Black Tea that has a thin layer of mold on the leaf. The mold is thought to be extremely beneficial for health reasons.

White Tea is made from the leaf buds before they fully open. So it’s something of a premature Green Tea.

Ice Tea that is so popular in the US (Lipton, Luzianne, etc) is actually a Black Tea. If you read the ingredients, it says it is Orange Pekoe. Orange Pekoe is a grade of the tea leaves that describes the size and cut of the leaf particles used.

“Herbal Teas” are concoctions made from anything other than the Camellia Sinensis. For example, brewing Ginseng leaves to make “Ginseng Tea”. However, this is not a “Tea” at all since it is not made from the tea plant Camellia Sinensis. Herbal Teas are actually herbal infusions known as “Tisanes”.

It’s too bad the oxidization process that gives us Black Tea decreases the available polyphenols, catechins, and flavonoids of the Camellia Sinensis leaf. It’d be great to get all of the Green Tea benefits from all the Iced Tea I drink!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:35 am 

Wow chris. WOW. Lol glad i learn something new everyyday and your the one to blame! haha awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:40 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Yeah Chris. I haven't taken any of the "fat burners" since they pulled the E out of the ECA stacks that used to be sold over the counterI did notice, that most of the major brands used green te extract for that purpose though. I guess the idea being to make the fat available for fuel a little bit easier than normal. Farther back, people were taking L-Carnitine for the same purposes, but I don't know if that atually ever panned out as being viable.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:44 pm 

In case anyone is interested, the family for the Camellia is Theaceae. The name tea was derived from the family name. If i remember correctly, the buds are also used in the tea making process. The Camellia sinensis is native to Asia which is why tea is such a staple there. How come my emoticons don't work.? All i get is the text, not the faces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:51 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

By default, smilies are disabled. You have to uncheck that box ("Disable Smilies in this post") before you submit your post in order for the smilie to be seen. The box is found just below the text entry area, and just above the "Preview" & "Submit" buttons.

See! :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:15 pm 

I did that before and it still didn't work. Maybe my computer doesn't like me. Let me uncheck the box again and see if it'll work. :grin: :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:16 pm 

It worked this time. Thanks. :smile: