ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nutrition Question
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:00 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hi guys - I'm getting to where I'm not really into meat as much as I used to be, and if need be, is this sufficient if I'm lifting 5 days a week, meal wise? -

Pasta - 1 cup whole grain
Frozen Stir Fry "Asparagus/Red Pepper/Yellow Pepper/Onion/etc" veg only, no sauce - 1/2 cup
Strawberry/Olive Oil Vinegarette 2 tbsp "adds some fats to it, and makes the pasta/vegs bind in the pan after cooking noodles"
1 piece french bread - "i cant find this in a whole grain bread"
Baby Spinach - 1 cup fresh
Asiago Caesar Dressing - 2tbsp

Here's where the problem comes in... protein? I had about 2 cups of milk to drink with it, but thats the best I could come up with. I need some suggestions here besides beans? Or should I just supplement my proteins with a protein drink?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no way that is going to work. You're going to have to get into meat, or find a different hobby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:04 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I can eat beans, they dont bother me, but does it have to be meat? I can eat chicken no problem but red meat and pork has been weird lately. I feel full from what I had there, and I usually interval protein in between meals as much as possible. And does the protein have to be in the main meals or can I do say, hard boiled eggs in between or something on my snacking with peanut butter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:20 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@brook011:

If beef and pork aren't your thing, try chicken or fish.

Although I don't think that you need the 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight that is often claimed to be desireable for weight trainers, it's hard to become muscular on a vegetarian diet. Some people have done it, but the amount of grains and beans that you need to consume could be a problem. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:22 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

haha i know i know, i can do chicken, but i grew up eating fish that was always breaded, and I can't eat it any other way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:50 pm 

Brook--The problem is the completeness of the protein. As you may know, proteins are built out of amino acids. Our bodies can make some kinds, but there are many that you can only get from food, and you have to have them all.

An analogy is beads on a necklace. The design calls for certain combinations of the different color beads, and if you are short of even one of the colors, the production line stops until all are available. Doesn't matter how many blue and red ones you have, if you are out of green ones, you can't make necklaces according to the design.

In your body the excess blue and red ones are not put into storage until you have green ones, they are burned as fuel.

If you are missing just one of the essential amino acids, you can't make protein, no matter how much of the other amino acids you might have. Animal protein is "complete protein" in that it has all of the essential amino acids, and in approximately the proportion you need. If you are missing one, the others don't sit and wait for you to find some. They are burned as fuel, adding to the total calorie count for the day. The amino acids need to balance over a period of a few hours.

Vegetable proteins are not complete; no one veg gives you all the amino acids. All of the amino acids can be obtained from vegetables, but you have to figure out the best combinations of vegetables to balance the amino acids. People who feel strongly about vegetarian eating have worked out a lot of information on the subject, including combinations and proportions of veggies that give you complete protein. You could probably find websites on vegetarian eating that would help you.

Remember that protein in excess of what you utilize just counts as additional calories, so take that into account.

Also remember eggs and whey powder, which have complete protein.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:56 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

So whey is or isn't complete? Because thats what I'm getting at. I'm more than happy to supplement with whey, thats a foundation of my diet no matter what im doing usually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:07 pm 

Is.

Sorry if I missed the point of your original post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Most meals should still come from solid food.

the thing is you really have to have a certain attitude and outlook on things for bodybuilding.

breaded fish? That's like saying you only eat beef in the form of a big mac. If it is breaded it is total ass end quality. Try some pan fried salmon. Plenty of oil or butter and the right seasoning. That's some good stuff. Maybe you just need to learn how to cook. It can make a huge difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:14 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I can cook quite well, the thing is, I cant cook fish. I've never cooked it really, and even still, to say I'm going to eat salmon every day is like saying hey- im going to eat filet mignon for dinner tonight.. too expensive for a college student really. The breaded fish thing was a bit of a joke. I'll probably just have to start trying to eat different kinds of fish. Honestly, most of my meals are cooked, its too expensive to not cook, and the whole grain pastas and vegetables are cheap :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:58 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Costco and Trader Joes and frozen salmon are your friends. Buy it in bulk, cheaper than fresh, and learn to grill it. Any of those plug-in top-and-bottom grillers is fine, too.

You've got to learn to eat fish, or find out what vegetarian bodybuilders like Bill Pearl did for diets. It's much easier for omnivores to eat a balanced diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:13 am 

If you compare the price of Salmon with the equivelant amount of fish oil and whey, it's actually quite reasonably priced. Of course canned is cheaper especially if you can get it by the case. Mackerel, trout, arctic char and tuna are also good choices. Try to get wild fish. Many of these species are farmed. Mackeral is relatively cheap here in Nova Scotia and is always wild. Try to get one of these oily fish about twice a week. These are all excellent grilled. There are several good white fish species that are good panfried in olive oil. These will probably be more familiar to you and have a more subtle flavour. Herbs and spices are a great addition. Never eat breaded fish.

For sources of protein, I'm surprised no one mentioned eggs.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:18 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

So am I surprized no one mentioned eggs. Must have been an oversight. One of the better priced proteins around, and also has an almost perfect bio-availability score.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:10 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ummm whey isolate is about 60 cents per serving, I'm pretty sure salmons not going to come to 60 cents per serving :) I'll figure something out :) And yeah, i buy the walmart 5 dozen egg boxes. They are great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:13 pm 

brook011 wrote:
Ummm whey isolate is about 60 cents per serving, I'm pretty sure salmons not going to come to 60 cents per serving :) I'll figure something out :) And yeah, i buy the walmart 5 dozen egg boxes. They are great.

No, Salmon is not 60 cent/serving but it contains more than protein. Salmon costs about $1.50 / serving. I got canned salmon recently for 99 cents. Add the cost of the fish oil and you will come pretty close to those costs.