ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:40 am 

Tuna is good when it comes to protein content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:38 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

if the 1g of protein per lb of podyweight holds true, i can't see how anyone could possibly get near it without a supplement. I consider myself to eat a lot, and eat pretty well but I'd be looking at 150g of protein daily, that's like 25 eggs a day! I mean obviously you would never try it with eggs alone, but still it's a fair effort. I get 30g of protein from one of my whey shakes, 3 of those a day is 90g of protein I'd otherwise have to get from somewhere else. It just makes it that much easier. If i was a big guy, say like 230lbs or something, I couldn't see how it would ever be possible to get as much protein in my system as that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:03 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

robertscott wrote:
if the 1g of protein per lb of podyweight holds true, i can't see how anyone could possibly get near it without a supplement.

I don't think that it is true - I've seen guys get out of prison totally buff. And prison food isn't exactly bodybuilder fare.

Ads for protein powders pay much of the freight for the muscle magazines - they have a vested interest in promoting the 1 gram of protein per gram of bodyweight viewpoint.

Most people do OK for protein if they eat 3-5 solid food meals per day and add a protein shake after and/or before they work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:21 am 

Quote:
I don't think that it is true - I've seen guys get out of prison totally buff. And prison food isn't exactly bodybuilder fare.

I foresee another protein argument emerging....

To put in my $.02 I believe the body does a better job at using protein than what is speculated by media within the weightlifting/bodybuilding community. The body can thrive off of 50-100 g of protein.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:28 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Theres protein in alot of things most people dont realize its in, but yes supplements help alot in getting there, and I still think its the cheapest and easiest way to get what I need. Protein arguement done :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:40 pm 

robertscott wrote:
if the 1g of protein per lb of podyweight holds true, i can't see how anyone could possibly get near it without a supplement.

Not counting the whey protein I ate yesterday, I still managed to eat 210g of protein yesterday. With it, around 235g or so. It's not hard. It you eat only eggs it isn't easy, they aren't that protein dense. But I eat 8-10oz servings of fish for lunch every day, that's usually clocking in at 1/3 of my daily protein goal of 1g per pound.

I agree with Ironmaiden, I don't think you need 1g per pound of bodyweight, but I don't think it's hurting me any getting it. When I eat low carb, I still need to get my 3000+ calories a day and it's protein or fat...and I happen to like eating protein (poultry, fish, beef, pork) and I get a fair amount from my veggies, too. I could eat much less protein and more fat, of course, but since fat is so caloric dense it would be easy to eat too many calories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:42 pm 

Stephen Johnson wrote:

Neither is military food, for that matter.

But prisoners usually don't have a full-time job, don't cook their own meals, have plenty of time to train and rest, etc. I wouldn't trade my freedom for that but it sounds a lot like a training camp - just train, rest, and eat the food provided to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You all can think what you want, but I'm not going to tell you it's going to work.

People who whine about food don't get big. People who are big eat a lot of meat. We are talking about getting big, not staving off malnutrition.

Protein has MANY uses. I don't care if half a gram per pound will keep your muscle from waisting away. That is completely irrelevant to what we are talking about. That is like being in a forum discussing HDTV and people are saying you are going to need $1000 to get a good size and one, and replying that nobody needs that much money because you can buy a 13" standard def TV at Wal-mart for $150.

Go to Aldis and buy eggs, tuna and hotdogs if you're poor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:47 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

No, the point was to get away from most meats, the money thing is just a side issue. I can afford it, but I was wondering if it can be done on just whey, thats all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:20 am 

yay aldis!!!! lmao i didnt know they were anywhere other then in syracuse ny .... lmao hilarious.... If i were more poor than I am I still wouldnt shop there they have their own brand of everything and it tastes like garbage.

Thanks mom for shopping there!! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:50 am 

brook011 wrote:
No, the point was to get away from most meats, the money thing is just a side issue. I can afford it, but I was wondering if it can be done on just whey, thats all.

Protein is only one of the benefits of meat. I've already mentions Omega 3 in fish. Meat of all types is very high in all the B vitamins along with iron, zinc, magnesium, vitamin E. It's very hard to get B12 without it. Grass fed beef is high in CLA.

Try to get and meat or fish as close to wild as possible. i.e. grass fed is better than grain fed, buffalo is better than beef, ostritch is better than chicken, etc. Of course wild meat is not readily available and it's more expensive. Trade offs will be required.

Of course meat is more expensive to society than grains or vegetables. As much as you can, you should try to eat locally produced, sustainably raised meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't had buffalo. Is it only in Canada or can you get it in the US?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:24 am 

You can get it in the US. I used to know a family that had a biiiggg buffalo ranch. Their kids went to better colleges than the cattle ranchers' kids, by a long way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:03 am 

Ironman wrote:
I haven't had buffalo. Is it only in Canada or can you get it in the US?

There are more buffalo in the US that Canada.

http://www.bisoncentral.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:11 am 

Trader Joe's used to carry frozen buffalo meat and buffalo burgers in their frozen foods section. They probably still do. I had them and they were just fine.