ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dropping weight
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:20 am 

OK I've been dieting and lifting and even added some HIIT to get my fat butt not so fat anymore. I'm now down to 202 and fear going below the 200 lb mark. I want to lose the fat but I don't want to lose weight. Should I up my caloric intake again? I have been eating very healthy eating a lot of green vegetables eating salads and snacking healthy throughout the day. I was hoping I would lose fat and stay the same weight. I guess I'm losing a lot of fat or had a lot more than I thought I did.

My question is how much weight should I expect to gain monthly after I get as lean as I want. Which I HOPE isn't below 190 lbs. My goal is to get to 230 lbs but really chisselled. And if I keep dropping weight that goal is seeming harder and harder to reach although I don't mind if I get my wierd 7 and a half pack back! I gained the weight the wrong way yes im way bigger than i was but I put so much fat on my friends considered me fat!

I want to gain the weight the right way this time and maybe eventually participate in some weight lifting sport or competetion. I have heard stories of people gaining 2 lbs of muscle in a month!!! That sucks!!! but if thats the way I'll have to go I guess I'll suffer through it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. That being said to gain roughly 25 lbs that would take a year. Crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:22 am 

Also I'm not sure why my goal is a certain weight maybe I should change that. I just don't want to be one of those panzy small bodybuilders. You know the ones that are chissled but goofy looking? No offense to anyone that may be like that to each his own but thats why I was thinking 230 would be great. Sorry for continually rambling.

John Corless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:34 am 

John, 25 pound in one year of lean muscle is good.

The important thing right now is while you're cutting, you don't want to lose any muscle. Keep a good steady supply of protein in your body. Keep lifting heavy so your body will want to protect your muscle. A lot of people do a lot of cardio and cut back on the weights due to lack of energy. That's why they lose muscle. Make that your priority. If you're getting weaker, you're losing muscle. Eat more if that happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:47 am 

Thanks stu. I'm not getting weaker so thats a good thing. Actually I was on my strength training program while I started dieting and doing HIIT. I became stronger while losing weight. Obviously I have a lot of fat more than I thought. Although I severly dislike the fact that I think I'm going to go below 200 I think I will have to. My gf video taped me running with my daughter at the beach. Talk about motivating. YUCK. HAHAHA well..... time to suck it up eat right and do right.

I guess I'll have to stop thinking I'm some amazing person and do things right. Getting off my high horse as we speak and will do things the right way!! haha. Crazy. Maybe I should drag tires or throw trees lol maybe that will make me more solid and leaner haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:52 am 

I don't know if dragging tires or throwing trees will make you leaner but it sure helps relieve stress. Wait until you have teenagers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:53 am 

I have at least nine years....lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:16 am 

Quote:
OK I've been dieting and lifting and even added some HIIT to get my fat butt not so fat anymore. I'm now down to 202 and fear going below the 200 lb mark. I want to lose the fat but I don't want to lose weight. Should I up my caloric intake again? I have been eating very healthy eating a lot of green vegetables eating salads and snacking healthy throughout the day. I was hoping I would lose fat and stay the same weight. I guess I'm losing a lot of fat or had a lot more than I thought I did.
When you lose fat you will lose weight, not unless you can some how manage to simultaneously drop FM while uping FFM.

Quote:
My question is how much weight should I expect to gain monthly after I get as lean as I want. Which I HOPE isn't below 190 lbs. My goal is to get to 230 lbs but really chisselled. And if I keep dropping weight that goal is seeming harder and harder to reach although I don't mind if I get my wierd 7 and a half pack back! I gained the weight the wrong way yes im way bigger than i was but I put so much fat on my friends considered me fat!
I think I stated this before but the body is good when it comes to storing fat. You may think you will get lean @ 190# but you eventually get there and you come to find out you only got a tiny 4 pack. What's with your obsession w/ being lean above 200#? Franco Columbu was 5'5" was considered the worlds strongest man 2 time Mr. Olympia and < than 200#.

Theres ways of eating smart and stupid, by reading previous posts it seems that you would be in the catagory of eating stupid. That would include eating anything that gets within your vicinity whether it's micky d's FF or 3 chicken breasts with 4 potatoes. It's not hard to get nececcary protein and not turn into Andy Bolton.

Quote:
I have heard stories of people gaining 2 lbs of muscle in a month!!! That sucks!!! but if thats the way I'll have to go I guess I'll suffer through it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. That being said to gain roughly 25 lbs that would take a year. Crazy.
2lbs in a month? Those would be excellent gains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:31 am 

Ironmaiden you are thinking of me when I was on the ridiculous bulking diet. When I added 25 lbs in a month and most likely at least 20 of it was fat! I eat healthy now and stay away from fast foods I eat a lot of lean meat fish and vegetables. Also starting to take fish oil pills and see how that works.

I don't know why I want to be heavy but I incorporate size with weight. I want to be huge. Everyone knows that. Plus being under 200 to me just feels small. After i hit 213 I looked at myself said holy fat and then decided I wanted to look good while being strong and healthy. I know what my abs are like ill have more than a six I know for a fact I had abs when I was a kid and people used to say I thought you could only have six? I said well count em. lol.

I lift to get big and now im lifting to hit specific muscles twice a week with good rest time and hopefully adequate growth compared to hitting a muscle one time a week. I'm hopeing my calves will develope into something more than chicken legs. Everyone cries genetics and most people that complain about skinny legs aren't persistent and committed to making them bigger. I know thats not everyone but did you ever see someone obsess about their calves like people obsess about their guns? I thought not. lol. The never quit attitude is what I have and thats how I do things

I have even heard of dudes getting calf implants? WTF? My calves will get bigger I will get toned and chisseled I may not be 230 and have to redo my goal on that but I will be awesome. I can't wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:48 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

John, it sounds like you might be doing it already, but just follow Barardi's guidelines, keep going with your training, and you should do fine in dropping fat and maintaining your muscle mass. Da,m the sales, who cares about numbers. When you're at a lean point you can live with, start adding SOME extra calories in, and go for a slow muscle gain, keeping an eye on your waistline, adding and subtracting as needed.
It won't be a fast process, but preserverence will win out.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:53 am 

Roger that Tim and long term productivity is what I'm aiming for. Awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:26 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I was just going to chime in with my personal experience on this. I have been hoovering at about 205 now for the last month. The HIIT work is great stuff, if you want to continue to cut yet keep muscle, but the most obvious thing is making sure you eat right. The ability to cook is huge, and if you cant cook, buy a george foreman grill. That thing will do the cooking for you. And changing up what you're cooking, or what I do, is buy food for the week, keeps things fresh. Always something new to try. I'd say its a good idea to stay away from the conundrum of eating a chicken breast every meal, it takes a tough mindset to stick to that, and most people will eventually just fail and gorge or whatever.

Also, you can't expect to become chiseled and 230 in a month. Weight training is awesome for the first 6 months, and then a long and slooowww process to continue to grow and move up the ranks. You have to learn to accept that early on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:29 pm 

BTW I'm not one to sway from a diet or a routine. LOL I eat healthier than anyone I know. Well maybe not on this website but that I literally know.I am consious of my diet 100% of the time and do not binge or anything. People look at me and wonder how I can do it. The 3 d's Dedication Determination and Desire. Not sure if I just made that up... but whatever lol.

John Corless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:54 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I understand, I'm just trying to keep you in the mindset of a diet that is a realistic solution for life. You don't want to become a binge dieter sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:00 pm 

Thanks brook I appreciate your concern :wink: lol but I'm really into what I'm doing and go through with anything I plan on pending injury or death or the gym being burnt down which I don't think metal is too flammable so I'm good there as well so nothing will stop me. I wish people I lifted with were as intense as me I think it would benefit all of us. Maybe I just take it too seriously? I don't know I sometimes dream about lifting weights!!! lmao my gf thinks I have problems...hahah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:28 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

John, try to ignore the number on the scale. Here is a post I read on T-Nation that you might like to read:

http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=850767

I suppose if the 200 barrier is too painful, try weighing yourself holding a 10-15 pound dumbbell. That way you actually drop below 200 but you don't see it on the scale. You'll see 210 with a 15 pound DB in hand so it won't seem so bad. :D

Peter