ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've seen Pumping Iron, Franco is 5'2" tops. He looked at least a foot shorter than Arnold. maybe more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:45 am 

Wrong. I've also seen pumping iron, many times.
Quote:
Columbu was born in Ollolai, Sardinia. Starting out his athletic career as a boxer, Columbu progressed into the sport of Olympic Weightlifting, powerlifting and later bodybuilding, winning the title of Mr. Olympia in 1976 and 1981. At 5 feet and 5 inches in height

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Columbu

Last edited by ironmaiden708 on Wed May 28, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:55 am 

Yeah, and I'm going to weigh holding helium balloons in my hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Short guys do tend to lie. Just look at him next to Arnold. It looked like a foot difference. Did anyone else think that or am I just remembering wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:54 am 

Quote:
Columbu was born in Ollolai, Sardinia. Starting out his athletic career as a boxer, Columbu progressed into the sport of Olympic Weightlifting, powerlifting and later bodybuilding, winning the title of Mr. Olympia in 1976 and 1981. At 5 feet and 5 inches in height

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Columbu

Quote:
Nickname: The Sardinian Strongman
Born: August 7, 1941
Birthplace: Ollolay, ITALY
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 185 lbs

http://www.schwarzenegger.it/mro/columbu.html

Quote:
Franco Columbu
Height 5'5"
Born August 7, 1941

http://musclememory.com/show.php?a=Columbu,+Franco

Quote:
Date of Birth
17 August 1941, Ollolai, Sardinia, Italy
Height
5' 5" (1.65 m)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0173372/bio

Quote:
Full Name: Franco Columbu
Official Website: Columbu.com
Date of Birth: August 7th, 1941
Height: 5'5
Off Season Weight:
Competition Weight: 185 lbs.

http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/francocolumbu.html

Quote:
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 185 lbs

http://www.exyu-fitness.com/forum/index ... 257.0;wap2

Quote:
Born: 8/7/41
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 185 lbs.

http://ironage.us/gallery/bodybuilders/columbu.html

Quote:
Height: 5' 5" [ 1.65 m ]
Born: 7 August 1941

http://www.shortsupport.org/cgi-bin/who ... ection=ASC[/quote]

Quote:
At 5 feet and 5 inches in height, Columbu is shorter than most of his bodybuilding competitors, but that has not prevented him from achieving widespread success.

http://mrolympiachampions.hit.bg/Franco_Columbu.html

It seems to me that it is accepted that he was 5'5". Looking at a 30 year old docudrama is not a valid argument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not arguing. I'm just saying it looks that way. Not to mention the source of all those quotes is the same, Franco. He said he is 5' 5". So that's what they put. I thought I was 5' 11" until I measured myself properly and discovered I was really only 5' 9". I used to have 5' 11" on my license and everything. But I had other people measure me too and I'm 5' 9" on the dot.

But at any rate, 5' 5" is still short and he is a small framed guy, and the weight was his contest weight. Off season he is going to weigh a lot more.

So I don't see what is so unreasonable about wanting to be 200 and ripped. It is doable for a taller larger framed guy. 230 isn't going to happen, but 200 is possible.

To be honest, ripped and over 200 is my goal. I'm close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:00 am 

Good goal ironman. I want to be huge ripped and I don't care what I weigh... after a long consideration weight doesn't matter to me as much as size does but obviously each go hand in hand. I'm toning down getting cut getting strong and started tanning yesterday... ouch burned...lol

I'm seriously considering bodybuilding. I'm focus on my weakest point which is my legs. I want to continue to train hardcore consistently for the next two years and see where that puts me. My weight keeps fluctuating it was 202 last monday and 204.5 today. I'm consistently losing fat while blasting at the weights and doing some intense HIIT.

Ironman what does your workouts consist of? How many days a week what types do you diet and or take supplements?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As for diet I cut with a low carb Atkins-like diet. I bulk with something kind of like the zone, but 4000+ calories. You are likely to need more carbs to bulk than I do. It depends on how you handle them. You also may be able to loose fat without being as strict as I am.

I take a multi, fish oil, and creatine all the time. Tribex gold works, I've used that before.

I work out 3 or 4 days a week as far as weights go. It is about 3 hours total split either 3 or 4 ways. I don't do body part splits. I do full body of some kind, or upper/lower or split by movement in some way. I vary frequency, volume and intensity all the time. I vary sets, reps, weight, exercises, techniques, general protocols and any other training variant you can think of.

When i cut I like to go real heavy with low reps, but high volume to maintain my strength. Keeping your strength, lifting with the volume and intensity you would use to build muscle and eating a lot of protein is what you do to keep all your muscle while dieting.

I don't don't do a lot of cardio. I do intervals in some form a little, but virtually no aerobics. I usually decrease intake and increase interval training little by little so as not to hurt my metabolism. Once you have no more to add, your cut is over and must come off the diet for a while and bulk or maintain until your metabolism recovers. If you want to, you can just go all out for a month and then stop. That works too.

I do almost all free weight compound exercises. I do very little isolation or machines.

Thats about all I can think of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:56 pm 

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Also what are your personal best lifts? obviouls you have been doing it a long time.

I weigh like 204 now. My personal best ever deadlift was 370 3 times
squat was 4 something but that was with the smith. Bench was like 340 but not sure what it is now most likely less.

Also I'm 5'8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am 5' 9". Other than having thick brow ridges and a large chest cavity, I am fairly small framed. My wrists measure 6.75". I am 210 right now. I just got off a bulk and gained some fat with it. According to descriptions of what different levels of body fat look like I am in the 15 to 20% range but closer to 15. The caliper showed 16%. So you can see a lot of muscle separation and the outline of my abs, but I still have some squishy spots. I think I had been as low as 12% before because I had started to see my abs just a bit, and then lost a couple pounds after that. I'm going to try to go all the way with the cutting this time. I want to get to 7 to 9% or whatever looks good. I could fit into 32" waist pants, but I wear 34's because my legs are too big for 32's. I'm 50" around the chest, 16" upper arm, 14" forearm, 25" thigh, 17" calf.

I am not very strong for my size though.
deadlift 365 with straps, I only did 1, but I could have done 3 or 4.
deadlift, no straps, pronated, 325 and I almost dropped it
squat 275x3
bench 225x5
dumbbell bench 210x4
incline bench 205x4
incline dumbbell 180x4
angled leg press 680x6, calvesx10
bent over row 205x5
Romanian deadlift 230x5
clean and press 135x4

I haven't been doing this for that long. 5 years of total lifting experience, 4 years of serious lifting and only about 3 and half years of actual bodybuilding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

By that way, that is 210 with a low carb diet. On a maintenance diet I'd be 213 to 214. That's after waking too. Some people cheat and do it later when they weigh more.

I almost forget one of my best lifts.
barbell shrug with straps 345x7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:28 am 

Thats why they usually want you to have an alternating grip. It's easier to hold that way at least in my opinion. And switch the grip each set. I can't wait to do deads this thursday because I'm having a friend of mine take pictures while I do it and I'm going to upload the picture to testosterone nation as my profile pic will be awesome....