It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CLA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:03 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Conjugated Linoleic Acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugated_linoleic_acid

I've found this stuff for sale at my local Sports Authority. I've seen it touted as a fat burner. I can get 180 x 500mg capsules for about $40.

Is this stuff worth it?

Also, is it worth taking regardless of your goals (bulking, cutting, maintenance) like fish oil? Or will I be wasting my time if I take this while I'm bulking or maintaining?

I'm wondering if I'm better off spending my money elsewhere. I already made that determination with fish oil, for example. Here in Japan DHA/EPA rich fish is cheap, while DHA/EPA supplements aren't, so for the same price that I get 10 grams of DHA/EPA supplements I can get a couple kg of fresh salmon and/or yellowtail, loaded with much more than 10g of DHA/EPA. So I'm trying to do the same calculation on CLA - should I spend the money and take the supplement, or should I just buy more fresh fish and eat that?

Last edited by pdellorto on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I take it to help with fat loss sometimes. It works, but the effects are very small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:34 am 

Thats not a very good price for CLA, you should be able to get it in 1g capsules. 180 for $40? You can get 210 1g pills for $20.

http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=5902
They do international shipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:43 am 

My understanding is that it's not very effective as a supplement. It's better to get it in food. The best sources is beef, particularly, grass fed beef.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:48 am 

To continue on to what stu said it won't be like a day and night effect if you take it, it gives you that extra 3-5% help with weightloss and muscle building.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:24 pm 

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Thats not a very good price for CLA, you should be able to get it in 1g capsules. 180 for $40? You can get 210 1g pills for $20.

http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=5902
They do international shipping.

Thanks. Yeah, they ship internationally but I have to register and provide my billing information before they'll tell me how much it'll cost...and in my experience it's usually at least doubling the price (often more than doubling the price) of supplements because of the weight involved. That's why I generally buy locally, or find someone on eBay...it's usually more reasonable than discount online stores for international shipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:06 pm 

If Ironman and Ironmaiden are right, I'll see benefits but relatively marginal ones if I take CLA. Mostly fat loss and some muscle increase, but in the very tiny edge of the range.

Since it's not cheap, I think I'd be better off saving it for when I try to cut, to give an extra boost to my metcons and other fat-burning exercise and to help spare muscle loss. If it was cheaper or if I can get it cheap it might fall under "may as well try it" like Creatine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:54 pm 

Dang Pete. What do you need help with weight loss for? I'd kill (well maybe just maim) for your body fat %.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:43 pm 

I'm still a bit flabby in some spots, especially my stomach and my ass. It's that last stubborn bit I need to address. Especially because I fight, I see that as a) unsightly (I'm not at the beach, but I fight with no shirt on) and b) weight that isn't helping me pound my opponent.

I feel left out being one of the only guys in the gym without a six-pack come fight time. It's peer pressure!

But thanks. Sometimes I have to remind myself I've come pretty far.