ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:15 pm 

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/healt ... yt&emc=rss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:32 pm 

Ryan, I'm not sure how relevant that article is for strength trainers. The reason for post workout nutrition is to support protein synthesis, not glycogen replacement. "...studies by Dr. Jeukendrup and several others have shown that consuming protein after exercise speeds up muscle protein synthesis...". The 4:1 ratio always seemed ridiculously high to me anyway. Most recomendations for weight traininers is 2:1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:40 am 

Your comments lead me to think you didn't read the article.
"During exercise, muscles stop the biochemical reactions used to maintain themselves such as replacing and resynthesizing the proteins needed for day to day activities. It’s not that exercise is damaging your muscles; it’s that they halt the maintenance process until exercise is over.

To do this maintenance, muscles must make protein, and to do so they need to absorb amino acids, the constituent parts of proteins, from the blood. Just after exercise, perhaps for a period no longer than a couple of hours, the protein-building processes of muscle cells are especially receptive to amino acids. That means that if you consume protein, your muscles will use it to quickly replenish proteins that were not made during exercise. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:34 am 

I took the point of the article that carbs and protein were not needed after endurance exercise. Your quote supports my view that protein is required for those trying to maintain or build muscle. What's your take on the article?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:12 am 

The article mostly discusses endurance sports. It would be nice if the informants had included a few more people involved in resistance training, and if some of their remarks had more specifically addressed needs and concerns of lifters. It's pretty hard to apply the conclusions in the article to what I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:29 pm 

So yes, they are mostly talking about endurance sports, but I certainly took away some points that could question consumption post workout as well.

(1) If 20g is a limiter on uptake, then that seems like it would be true no matter what type of exercise you were doing.

(2) They stressed that "special" supplements didn't really make a big difference.

(3) The window for when to consume carbs is not nearly as strict as often perpetrated.