ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:38 pm 
I eat very healthy. I have some fish, rice and dont forget my vegetables everymeal.

For vegatables I consume pea's corn, coliflourer, brocolie and I steam them rather than boil.

Now heres the problem. No matter how well I chew them, they seem to escape the digestion process. If I chew well, they come out as mush. If I dont I get an awful lot of peas looking almost like what they did when I was eating them.

I tried to find this out using google but I had no luck. Maybe someone here knows whats going on. Everything else is getting digested. And I also eat spinich on my sandwhiches(i think its high in glutamine) but last week I $h!t out a whole leaf, I must not have chewed it.

So, why can I not digest these peas and corn very well?

Thanks for your time and not being too grossed out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:04 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Interesting question. I just think it's the fiber content. It's certainly not abnormal what you're seeing.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:03 pm 
That is totally normal. Veggies and nuts and some grians have undigestible parts. If you eat a lot of that, that is how it comes out. If nothing else it's good for your colon. As long as you don't have so much it gives you the runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:35 am 
Novice
Novice

i dont remember where or how i heard this - the corn peas etc rehydrate going through your system after the nutrients are absorbed, and are evacuated looking like they did when eaten.

i have no idea if that is true, havent checked it out, its just what i heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:55 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I have the same thing so dont get freaked. Its a good sign however, if you find your stools are not hard enough intake some more protein (red meat or other land animal, not fish) into your diet and see if this rids you of the mush effect. You dont want your "crap" to be to hard or to soft.

Baby spinach is great isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:32 am 
Novice
Novice

just fyi, corn is a grain, a starchy carb.

But anyway, get more fiber, it will bulk your poo and help with mushiness. As long as you are eating enough veggies (always better to get too much than not enough) if some escapes your digestion then no biggie. If it really bothers you can look into live cultures.

Basically these are living cultures that you let our veggies soak in for a given amount of time. This kinda starts the digestion process before you consume it, thus aiding in total digestion. I have several veggie friends that use these to combat similar problems. I haven't ever tried them, but the logic sounds right. Steaming veggies a little longer than you do now would have a similar effect. Steaming is the prefered method of preperation because softening the veggies has shown in increase absorption of the nutrients they contain. The softening of the veggies is the beginning of digestion. Live cultures stimulate this action and actually begin breaking down the food on a biochemical level.

Fiber passes mostly undigested and acts kinda like a broom going through you intestine. As it sits in your colon waiting for excretion it absorbs moisture and acts like a bullking agent, so while you get fiber from brocolli and what not, you might need a little extra in your diet.

Jut suggestions, apply the scientific method and see what works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:12 am 

Corn may be a starch, but in its natural form, it's encased in a packing of celluose, which you're body can't digest, so it's totally natural to see it come out that way. That;s why you most normally find corn in the form of a processed grain, which is starch.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:42 am 

Other than the starch in the seeds (corn, peas, etc) all plant material cells have a cell wall composed of cellulose, hemi-cellulose, and ligden (lignen?) known commonly as fibre. They are mostly indigestible and it takes assistance from microbes to be able to break them down. We release the nutrients by chewing the vegetable matter. Polygastric animals have multiple stomachs composed of a soup of bacteria. Monogastric animals do get some help in the cecum with the horse having an enlarged cecum compared to humans. It isn't nearly as efficient as the multiple stomachs. That is why you see horse poo having so much more fiberous material than cows. In other words, you are perfectly normal. What goes in plant wise, will for the most part come out.