ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:16 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I keep looking all over, but I can't seem to find any requirements as far as how much should be taken of an Omega 3? I even checked those articles above, but they're fairly vague on dosing, most of it is about the benefits. Right now I am taking 2.4g with breakfast and 2.4g with dinner. Does that sound right for a 205lb man? I also picked up some flax oil, which I thought was the same as fish oil, but the bottle says differently as far as omega 3 fat types.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:05 am 

There are no "official" recommendations for this as it is only recently been recognized that Omega 3 is required. The main criteria is ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6. There is disagreement as to the ratio required. 1:4 O3 to O6 is the minimum required. 1:2 is probably a reasonable level for most people. 1:1 is probably optimal and is probably what our prehistoric ancestors ate. This would probably require a paleo type diet, with virtually no grains.

The volume of fish oil you're taking is adequate assuming you are keeping your Omega 6 under control, i.e. low grain and veg oil.

Flax is different than fish oil, higher in ALA and lower in DHA/EPA but it's the overall O3 is what's important. If you add flax, you can cut down the fish oil but don't cut it out completely. The jury is out on the value of flax vs fish oil but it appears that some of each is best.

You should also get daily olive oil. It makes a good substitute for many oils high in O6 and has health benefits on it's own. Also, use butter instead of margarine.

Stu