ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nuts and Legumes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:33 am 
n00b
n00b

I thought I was eating relatively healthy by eating good fats and protein in the form of nuts and legumes. Granted the legumes are often in the form of hummus, but I was still surprised to see that if I follow the exchanges on the site the almonds I eat are all fat (what about the protein?) and while I know hummus is starchy, the exchanges are all starch and fat. No protein there either.

I don't eat much meat, so my chart comes out really low on protein. I am new to the exchange idea, so maybe I am missing something.

I also notice this "Additional Fat Exchange" sheet that I don't get. Should I be able to exchange some of my fat for meat exchanges for the almonds?

These probably seem like silly questions for those of you who are experienced this, but I've always just dieted by intuition and that seems to be working less well as I get older. Any clarification would be much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd start by eating more meat to get your protein up. That would probably help the most.

Post subject: Confused about exchanges
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:21 pm 
n00b
n00b

The thing is, I eat enough protein, I am just not a big meat eater. I eat fish, beans, nuts, tofu, cheese etc. so I am not concerned about getting enough protein. I was just trying to understand the exchange method a little better.

I guess something like hummus has more starch and fat than protein to qualify, even marginally as protein, which I guess makes sense. But what about almonds. If I eat 2 oz of almonds, granted it is a lot of fat, but it is also 12g of protein which wouldn't even show up in my totals, because it is just listed as a fat exchange.

I am just still a bit confused about how the exchanges work. It doesn't seem very accurate. Is it just meant to be a general guide to push you in the right direction?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would forget about exchanges. Just keep track of your macros. If you log everything you eat, just write x grams of protein x of carbs and x of fat. You can further break them down if needed. Like if you want to work on your omega 6 to 3 ratio. Fish is meat. That is probably the only complete protein source you are eating. Lucky for you fish is very high in protein and omega 3 fats.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:04 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks, Ironman, I think you are right. Just keeping a food diary is already helping me realize my problem areas. I use the site NutritionData.com to keep track of the foods I eat. It takes a little time to get it all set up and add the recipes/foods I usually eat, but then it gives you a really nice breakdown of your daily intake.