ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: overweight people
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:33 am 
former lurker

Hi to whomever is reading this. Thank you for even taking a minute to look.

The whole reason I am on this site is because I googled "bikes for overweight people"

and a message thread poped up. I took a look around and decided to join. I think this

site along with encouragement from my friends my give me the I need to drop the LBs.
I am moving on campus next semester, and I need to make changes to my lifestyle while I

am at home, so I don't go there and ballon.

If anyone might have any suggestions please feel free to message me, or just want a new

buddy. :red:

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:40 am 

Welcome to the site. You remind me of my college roommate. He's a big man, 6'4" about 250# back then but not fat. He had a nice Raleigh racing bike that he used to put a lot of miles on. I have never seen anyone go through tires like he did. He's closer to 300# now and he's looking for a recumbent bike. He thinks it would hold his weight better.

Anyway, welcome, if you have questions about training or diet, just ask. There will be someone here that can answer.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:01 pm 

I'm 6'2" 290 and have a Gary Fischer Mountain Bike that has held up on some pretty tough trails. Townies are good, but honestly you will look like a dork riding them. They sure are comfortable, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:40 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

6'2" 205 and I ride a 250$ aluminum Schwinn MountainBike haha.. man my bike sucks but I've put two and a half full years on it as a main transportation method. 2000 miles on it easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:59 pm 

I don't think that the OP was asking for suggestions about bikes. He said that's what he was Googgling when he came across ExRx. He's asking for suggestions about how he can change his lifestyle now to prevent gaining weight when he moves on campus next semester. Right mufet7?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:11 pm 

UR Right doc. I guess that is why you get paid the big bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:17 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
I don't think that the OP was asking for suggestions about bikes. He said that's what he was Googgling when he came across ExRx. He's asking for suggestions about how he can change his lifestyle now to prevent gaining weight when he moves on campus next semester. Right mufet7?

sorry, wasn't really suggesting a bike haha, just stating a random fact :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:10 am 

Check out this link below, it's a massive page on dieting and eating good. You don't have to abide by all the info buried in the text. It will give ways to even help not have weight gain.

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4616

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:47 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Sir, from my own personal weight loss experience, I found it best to wean myself off of bad things. If you make it an all out attack on your fat, you will never change the lifestyle that got you to that point.

And bike riding is great for you. You should log how much you're doing "a bike computer will cost you maybe 20$". There's no reason by the end of the summer you're riding at least 8-10 miles per day.

Another thing I used to do when I was bigger, was attack anything when I was walking to somewhere -- meaning, I would make it an exercise by moving at a decent pace -- or, since I had knee problems "I was almost 300 at one point", I would walk and work my way up to running, by say jogging slowly for 30 seconds, catch my breath, jog again for 30 seconds. Eventually I could run 3 miles. Most people hate running, but when I did run alot, it was my hatred of running that drove me to run more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:04 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I wouldn't run if I was fat, it is too much for your knees, ankles and lower back to take the hits when you don't have a high enough strenght:weight ratio. I'd rather do swimming, biking, rowing, manual labour (hammers, picks, sandbags, ... = very fun).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:52 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I did so much walking at Syracuse University --- up hills, down hills, over hill, over dale --- I'd say just avoid the 4 a.m. pizza if you can. Ah heck, enjoy college, worry about life when after you graduate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:27 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

A good way to lose weight is to start a strength training program. You should check the stickies on the "General" board. I suggest "Starting Strength."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:37 pm 

TeeBee wrote:
I did so much walking at Syracuse University --- up hills, down hills, over hill, over dale --- I'd say just avoid the 4 a.m. pizza if you can. Ah heck, enjoy college, worry about life when after you graduate.

I can't agree. College IS life. Enjoy it, yes, but don't wait until after graduation (for some that may be a very long time) to start dealing with your health. I'm speaking as a 55 year-old man, who waited until his mid 40 to deal with fitness issues in his life. Start NOW.

In my opinion, resistance exercise is a very important part of weight loss. Yeah, ride the bike, swim (that's great for overweight people, as fat is buoyant, and the watter supports your body), walk, whatever, but also start lifting weights. Take advantage of the gym at your college. Make it a part of your life now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:42 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Docs right, the better your body composition now, the better off you'll be as you get older. As you get older your metabolism slows down, and you need the resistance training and muscle to keep your metabolism going strong.