ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tribulus
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:35 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Does it work? I'm not talking the overpriced name brand stuff, just the straight up extract for like 12$ for 120 pills. Anyone taken it or know about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I heard mixed reviews, but never tried it. The overpriced name brand stuff on the other hand works very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:42 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

It's weak at best. You may see some improvements, but I saw much more gain with ZMA. Think of tribulus as Green Tea; it can enchance things to a small percentage, but the gains you see are negligible, and I'm not sure if it can be attributed to the higher intake of steak (read meat). If you want a test booster, try ZMA instead. I definitely feel that one with no doubt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

except of course the fact that green tea doesn't boost test.

Actually better tribulus has boosted test enough for some people to experience estrogen sides from it aromitzing. But only those who are sensitive to estrogen sides. Tribex Gold is frequently used for post cycle therapy after a superdrol cycle. So make of that what you will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:06 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Does ZMA boost testosterone? I'd thought that was just the Balco sales line to cover giving their clients anabolic steroids.

It's just zinc, magnesium, and B6, right? I take some at night to help me sleep and ensure I get enough zinc, it's actually cheaper than just buying the zinc on its own here.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:50 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I have some 6-oxo if that really became a problem, but that sounds kind of steep. I was going to give it a shot in my next pack of supps anyways, my fish oils are almost out. Probably a good ZMA + Trib.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:05 pm 

Why do you want supps like that? Waste of $$. No need for ZMA, BCAA, NO, Glutamine supp, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:08 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I know there is going to be various intensities of reponses to the last one. Keepit civil, keep it a debate. Not like that fiasco on the rear delt machine.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:17 pm 

I'll stop discussing this when I start getting accused of being against protein supplementation and other irrelevant things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:24 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ironman wrote:
except of course the fact that green tea doesn't boost test.

Obviously.

Quote:
Think of tribulus as Green Tea; it can enchance things to a small percentage,

Green Tea is an herbal supplement. The thing it enhances is fat loss. But at best, you get about a 5-10% boost in fat burning. There are more effective supplements.

Tribulus is an herbal supplement. The thing it enhances is testosterone. But, it isn't as effective as other supplements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:26 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

brook011 wrote:
Probably a good ZMA + Trib.

That sound like a good and interesting mix. I've never mixed the two. Let us know how that turns out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll stop discussing this when I get accused of saying green tea kills your test levels and tribulus is as good as shooting 2 grams of test E per week but might give you a set of lactating DD's.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:44 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Why do you want supps like that? Waste of $$. No need for ZMA, BCAA, NO, Glutamine supp, etc...

Improvements in quality of life and wellbeing? I've used NO, and still do now, and don't see it as essential, but sure as hell enjoy it. ZMA has also been stated to improve sleep as well, and is stated as usually deficient in active individuals. As for trib? I did some reading and was really just curious what people had to say on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:25 pm 

ironmaiden708 wrote:

I don't always get enough Zinc in my diet, or magnesium. ZMA tabs have turned out to be the cheapest way to ensure I do, cheaper than zinc tabs alone, nevermind zinc and megnesium tabs.

L-Glutamine has saved my immune system. I used to get sick all the time here in Japan. I'd be doing MMA hard, lifting heavy, and working in a school. So I'd get sick a lot (1-2 colds per month). A friend suggested I take Glutamine after I worked out, and I did. Stopped getting sick as often. I ran out of glutamine a while back and so did the store I'd get it from...and I started getting sick again. So I added the glutamine back in and bam, back to very few colds.
I've heard it doesn't give you any advantages for exercise, but it's sure helped me avoid colds...and that has helped me train more. And be less miserable from constant colds.

That's my excuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:38 pm 

Quote:
I've used NO, and still do now, and don't see it as essential, but sure as hell enjoy it.

I took an NO product before, I liked some of the effects but it only worked once and now I could care less to put the money down on un needed supps.
Quote:
Improvements in quality of life and wellbeing?

Any specific examples? Needs to be a little less inclusive. I know that after I take a piss I feel an immediate improvement in well being same happens after I burp. :lol:

Quote:
and is stated as usually deficient in active individuals.
I know excercise kills zinc levels just eat some meat and be done with it. If you arn't feeling effects of zinc deficiencies then don't worry about it. I know when I took zinc previously it made me sick to my head. On a side note I have heard it does help with sleep.

Quote:
I don't always get enough Zinc in my diet, or magnesium. ZMA tabs have turned out to be the cheapest way to ensure I do, cheaper than zinc tabs alone, nevermind zinc and megnesium tabs.
What gave you that idea?

Quote:
L-Glutamine has saved my immune system. I used to get sick all the time here in Japan. I'd be doing MMA hard, lifting heavy, and working in a school. So I'd get sick a lot (1-2 colds per month). A friend suggested I take Glutamine after I worked out, and I did. Stopped getting sick as often. I ran out of glutamine a while back and so did the store I'd get it from...and I started getting sick again. So I added the glutamine back in and bam, back to very few colds.
I've heard it doesn't give you any advantages for exercise, but it's sure helped me avoid colds...and that has helped me train more. And be less miserable from constant colds.
Interesting reason, I figure your high protein diet would cover that, but at the same time not all of it gets absorbed due to competion for absorption. But since it obviously works for you, you might as well keep taking it.