ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi everyone

I'm using DeFranco's 'Westside training for skinny b******s part 3' routine, in an attempt to put on some bulk, and I was just wondering what supplement I should be using to try and put the muscle on? I've been using CNP Pro Mass

http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/Shop ... roMass.asp

which I've found to be good, but my friend recommended I use this instead:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/whey- ... otein-(2lb)/

and I was just looking for some advice as to what I should be using, as it's the area I know least about! My goal is to build muscle and size, but to do so while putting on as little fat as possible.

Any help or advice would be greatly received!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:00 pm 

You should get the Muscletech stack that will put on some serious mass!!!

JK, all you need to put on mass is have a solid routine. Protein for immediately after lifting can be beneficial. You can get some other supps like CLA, fish oil, multivitamin, and then just a good mass building diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:07 pm 
Novice
Novice

ironmaiden708 wrote:
You should get the Muscletech stack that will put on some serious mass!!!

JK, all you need to put on mass is have a solid routine. Protein for immediately after lifting can be beneficial. You can get some other supps like CLA, fish oil, multivitamin, and then just a good mass building diet.

I always have a protein shake straight after my workouts - would I be better with the second one I linked there, as it has more protein than the CNP one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:23 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Your link to the second one did not work. The first one looked like a good MRP, *meal replacement) by the fact that it had a mixture of carbs and protein, and could represent a small meal. Might be something to consider because of your weight gain concerns. However, you add complexity into the issue by wanting to add size without getting fat. Those are two opposing plans. Sure, it can be done, but your weight gain is not going to be quick, and you have to toe the line when adding in calories. I see this all the time, "I want to get hyooge and ripped, and I want it tomorrow. What supps do I take?" Ain't going to happen. Ironmaiden had it right. Make sure you get "adequate: protein/carbs/fat post workout, add in some extra calories throughout the day, watch your beltline, and take it slow for your stated goals. I can't compare the two links because the 2nd didn't work, but the first choice looks to be a fairly good MRP with adequate protein, and a mix of whey and casseins. Protein isn't a magic bullet, it just provides the necessary building blocks *amino acids) for growth and repair. Piling it on beyond the necessary isn't going to speed things up, but won't hurt either.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks Tim, if you're saying that the first supplement has enough protein in it to build muscle then that's fine, I'll just stick with that one. I was just making sure I'm getting enough protein to add muscle after my workouts, as I was concerned I was selling myself short.

Thanks again. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:06 pm 

In most instances, 35 gr protein post workout should be adequate. Don't forget, it's a post WO recovery drink. You going to be eating a regular food meal sometime afterwards, again, with plenty of protein. The post workout should just hasten things up somewhat.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:10 pm 

All you need in terms of protein post workout is 15-20 grams with roughly 60g of dextrose. Protein is protein no matter where you go very simply. Go for the protein that gives the best bang for the buck. No need for useless protein/NO/Creatine/Tofu/everything but the k-word sink combos. Typically you will get plenty of protein without accually having to aim for a high protein diet.

Oh yeah one more thing, get plenty of rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:06 pm 

The only thing I would point out is that the "Mass Gainers" usually cost more than making your own blend of carbs and protein. However, they are usually a pretty reasonable ratio of the right stuff for post workout stuff. As the other guys said, watch your beltline. You might want to invest in both "mass gainer" and protein so that you can maintain your protein intake without spiking your insulin all day long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:58 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yeah I was thinking of getting one that is mainly protein, for straight after my workout, then using the mass gainers at other times during the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:20 pm 

Mr_Schneebly wrote:
Yeah I was thinking of getting one that is mainly protein, for straight after my workout, then using the mass gainers at other times during the day.

Use the mass gainer for right after the workout since the carbs will boost your insulin improving the protein uptake. Use the whey alone the rest of the time.

Post subject: Choose b/w
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:06 am 
Rookie
Rookie

TimD wrote:
Your link to the second one did not work. The first one looked like a good MRP, *meal replacement) by the fact that it had a mixture of carbs and protein, and could represent a small meal. Might be something to consider because of your weight gain concerns. However, you add complexity into the issue by wanting to add size without getting fat. Those are two opposing plans. Sure, it can be done, but your weight gain is not going to be quick, and you have to toe the line when adding in calories. I see this all the time, "I want to get hyooge and ripped, and I want it tomorrow. What supps do I take?" Ain't going to happen. Ironmaiden had it right. Make sure you get "adequate: protein/carbs/fat post workout, add in some extra calories throughout the day, watch your beltline, and take it slow for your stated goals. I can't compare the two links because the 2nd didn't work, but the first choice looks to be a fairly good MRP with adequate protein, and a mix of whey and casseins. Protein isn't a magic bullet, it just provides the necessary building blocks *amino acids) for growth and repair. Piling it on beyond the necessary isn't going to speed things up, but won't hurt either.
Tim

I agree. Most people don't realize you can't add muscle mass without adding some fat as well. Increasing muscle means having excess calories and then those excess calories are stored mainly as fat and muscle (provided a good % of those calories are protein).

Best thing to do is bulk up then trim down for definition. You can add mass and stay somewhat lean, just not nearly as fast...