ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:22 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

I was over at Border's Book store. The August Muscular Development magazine had a good article on how caffeine increases testosterone production. So, I looked it up on line. This is interesting.

http://www.warriorfx.com/2008/03/caffei ... -exercise/

"Caffeine at doses of 400 milligrams or more tended to cause a small decrease in testosterone after ingestion, but a rapid increase in testosterone began within 15 minutes of exercise. The result was significantly greater than the exercise-only prescription. A hefty 800-milligram caffeine dose produced a 61 percent average increase in testosterone after 60 minutes of resistance training! Adversely, the large dose also resulted in a 51-percent raise in cortisol over the exercise period, which continued to elevate to 93 percent over baseline during the short 30-minute recovery phase post workout.

When the results for exercise and recovery periods were averaged out, the 800-milligram dose raised testosterone 39 percent – in which 21 percent was attributed to the caffeine intake. However, the peak dose also resulted in a 52 percent average increase in cortisol during exercise and recovery, when compared to exercise alone.

Caffeine can amplify the training-induced secretion of this important anabolic hormone, in a dose-dependent manner. More specifically, doses of 400 milligrams or more exhibited the greatest potential to increase testosterone. But increased doses are also met with an increase in testosterone’s catabolic nemesis: cortisol."

The Muscular Developement article noted the increase in cortisol, as well. However, it went on to say that cortisol can be countered/shut down by consuming carbohydrates. Nutritionist have stated that is one of the benefits of consuming a post workout carbohydrate drink. A protein-carbodhyrate drink is anti-catabolic...it shuts down cortisol.

Caffeine is used in Excedrin and other pain killers, as you probably know. Another point of the MD article was the basically caffeine numbs any pain during your workout...or as they put it, "caffeine increases you pain tolerance." Thereby, allowing one to workout harder.

Kenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:24 am 

Very interesting post. It looks as if having an energy drink before a lifting session could be beneficial. Thanks for the post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:30 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

lord forbid me from asking a stupid question, but does that mean a cup of coffee before a workout's going to turn me into a testosterone fueled he-man?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:50 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

robertscott wrote:
lord forbid me from asking a stupid question, but does that mean a cup of coffee before a workout's going to turn me into a testosterone fueled he-man?

Yes, and possibly grow a nice beard as well. Though coffee is maybe 100mg if its really strong, I'd say you'd probably need a big cup. Me personally, I buy it in the 400G containers, and dose it into my drink -- Note: If you take the bulk caffeine route, which is cheap, you have to drink it with something acidic or carbonated, as caffeine is the most bitter you'll ever try. Though you should be able to get the powdered version for about 5-8$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:57 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

robertscott wrote:

It depends on the coffee you drink. Brewed coffee can have as little as 60mg of caffeine. A caffeine pill like No Doze has 200mg. This study was using at least 400mg, and up to 800mg of caffeine. That is quite a bit. I’m not sure how that much would make you feel.

An interesting note is that the higher intake of caffeine also boosted cortisol levels by 52%. Cortisol is catabolic. With higher levels of cortisol, it could be counterproductive to elevated testosterone.

However, I’m wondering if you can get around the increased cortisol by blunting it with carbohydrate intake? Studies have shown that carbohydrate ingestion before exercise can blunt the cortisol response by 93%.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11905937

So maybe taking a caffeine pill or two with your pre-workout shake is the optimum approach? I’d like to see a study on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:01 am 

doesn't a whey protein shake reduce cortisol? Or are my wires crossed on that one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:08 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Haven't heard that personally, but I wouldn't be surprised. Whey has alot of benefits on general health beyond the protein uptake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:15 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

robertscott wrote:
doesn't a whey protein shake reduce cortisol? Or are my wires crossed on that one?

If it has a carbohydrate carrier to spike insulin levels, then yes. But, if it is pure whey with no glucose/carbs, then no. If your whey is lacking carbs, you can remedy that by mixing it with milk, sugar, juice, etc. My whey has very low carbs, only about 7g to 30g of protein, but I mix it with skim milk which helps.

Post subject: Caffeine...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:09 am 
Rookie
Rookie

This is very interesting... I know I have always felt a boost from caffeine prior to workouts. The effect on testosterone is pretty significant though if this study is accurate.
I agree that carb intake is probably best to blunt that nasty cortisol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:05 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Very interesting article. I love coffee, and always have a cup or two prior to a workout, just because it get's me "up" and focused. I doubt if it comes close to 400 mg though.

Someone mentioned whey protein blunting cortisol. I've never heard that, but there is a substance Phosphatidyl Serine (check the spelling) that supposed blunts cortisol. Might be interesting to google it.
Tim