ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: whey protein
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:05 am 
Rookie
Rookie

hey guys i have a question on whey, does it realy work? Do you need it? Would a guy using whey become stronger then a guy eating regurlarly? is there anything better than whey that wont make you gain weight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:26 am 

There a lot of people here that can answer this better than me, but there are a few things I understand.

One being weight is a function of calories. The more activity you do the more calories you need, just to maintain life let alone gain weight. Working out 6 days a week you're going to need a lot of calories I would imagine, and Whey is a good, quick, and easy source of many essential nutrients. So yes buy/use Whey.

Two being does it work? Yes it works, but that depends on what you believe 'working' is.

Do you need it? No. Think of the cliché: work smarter not harder…

As for who is stronger, and I may be wrong here, but that is a function of genetics and intensity of workout, as well as technique, program, chosen compound exercises, etc. I think Whey is such a small variable in that equation that it can't be responsible enough to make much of a difference.

But like I could be wrong, and almost everyone here knows more than I do.

Why am I answering then? Because I asked the same questions to peers before.

Your not going to loose any weight if you do it right Whey or no Whey, you'll probably weigh more after 16 weeks, but LOOK a lot thinner.

Just pay the $30 and drink it after you lift, plain and simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:45 am 

Whey is a great, convenient way to add protein to your diet without adding a bunch of stuff you don't want, like carbs. That makes it good for both gaining weight and losing weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:49 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I'm assuming the OP is referring to Whey as in protein powder. I get this question a lot i.e. (when taking a shake) Does that stuff really work? Answer: Um..........yes. But what exactly do you think it is?

A lot of newbies seem to think Whey powder is some kind of mild-over-the-counter steriod. It's not. It's just protein.

Therefore, YES, we need it. in order to function / survive, we need protein AND carbs AND fat. Saying, 'does that stuff work' when talking about protein powder is like going up to someone eating scrambled eggs and saying, "hey, does that stuff work?".

So, do you need protein POWDER? No, you don't. Do you need PROTEIN - absoloutley. It's up to you where you get your protein from, it doesn't need to come from Whey powder. When you lift, you force your muscles to work harder which results in the need for more protein (which helps them recover in a larger and /or stronger state, in simple terms). A high protein intake is difficult. When you go to shops, restaurants etc, meals or snacks are normally very carb heavy with limited protein. It can certainly be done without supplements but supplementing protein (Whey powder) is just very convenient. For example, as I type this, i've just whipped up a bowl of veg. I'll eat that then drink a shake, and knock back a multi vitaman tablet and a fish oil tablet. This is my 'quickie' meal for when I was too lazy to prepare something in advance...

I say to people that they should eat as much and as well as they can, and then just 'fill in the gaps' with supplements. But my advice largely depends on experience and goals. If a newbie is just trying to get bigger and stronger then I don't bombard them with supplement advice. I just tell them to eat as much as they can - as close to every 3 hours as they can, and use 'common sense' with their food choices, and see how they go. From there, they can start refining it....

Hope that answers your question.....

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:29 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I have plenty of whey myself, but was wondering if this person brings up any valid points, or is completely out to lunch: http://www.enerex.ca/articles/whey_prot ... uctose.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:49 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Whey isolate is perfect for post workout, with dextrose too.

I forget exactly what happens after a workout but i know its good to get simple carbs and fast absorbing protein (whey isolate). Not fat or fibre because they slow down digestion.

I usually eat a meal high in fat, protein and fibre a few hours after a workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:38 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Jebus wrote:
I forget exactly what happens after a workout but i know its good to get simple carbs and fast absorbing protein (whey isolate). Not fat or fibre because they slow down digestion.

Depletion of muscle/liver glycogen and increased protein synthesis is what happens. The immediate need for simple carbs and whey being a "fast" protein is overblown, though: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... tion_myths

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:10 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Porovoz wrote:
Jebus wrote:

Depletion of muscle/liver glycogen and increased protein synthesis is what happens. The immediate need for simple carbs and whey being a "fast" protein is overblown, though: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... tion_myths

Jebus,

Barr article make one scratch their head. He poses an interesting question on the need for a carbohydrate drink after resistance training.

1) Resistance training does not deplete that much glycogen.

2) Glycogen can be replaced in the muscle before the next workout, in 24-48 hours.

Another interesting observations by Barr is that there isn't difference in absorption rates between whey and caseinae, unless it hydrolyzed whey.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:04 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

In order for glycogen to be replaced, does it have to come from glucose?

Could the body convert fat into glucose?

I know it can convert protein into glucose, and that the body will use protein as energy if not enough calories are sufficient.

So let's say i take just protein after a workout, will my body convert it into glucose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:52 pm 

I can see why there might be an advantage to getting protein on board quickly while you're still anabolic, but what is the big rush in replacing glycogen stores?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:59 pm 

as far as I know the only reason to quickly replenish glycogen stores is if you are working out twice a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:04 pm 

Great article, any idea if the following one is out? I always consumed about 60g of dextrose/maltodextrin in my post workout shake but I think I'm gonna leave it as of tommorrow, especially while trying to trim down a bit. It's quite confusing to know how much is beneficial for a positive effect for protein synthesis really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

New information shows it might not be beneficial at all. Not taking the sugars may cause you to miss out on the anabolic insulin rush, however you release more growth hormone which may be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:04 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I remember at school the coach would get us to have carbs and protein post workout if we had class afterwards but if it was the last "class" of the day he'd tell us to get in some protein and weight until dinner time for the carbs but he never really explained why. I assumed carbs before classes so as to be mentally alert, but why not having them was beneficial was a mystery, maybe I can findout here?

John