Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Young coconut juice
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:51 am 
Rookie
Rookie

http://www.hcmuscle.com/ipp_killermrp.aspx

I've been mixing my protein shake with half of one coconut juice post workout for 3 weeks. But I really don't feel it. Anyone else tried it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:07 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Never tried it. But let's get to the real issue. What exactly is it you are expecting to feel A post workout shake is not magical, no matter what ingredients it contains. It should be some protein, some carbs, and a good dose of good fats couldn't hurt. It simply supplies the nutrients required for maint-repair-growth of lean tissue. If you are expecting instantaneous growth, well, that's not going to happen. Just be patient.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:27 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Tim: I was thinking should I just go back to plain water? From reading one of the post from Ironman, he said to lay off the fruits if you want to bulk lean, try to avoid sugar. My main concern is if the coconut juice worth the extra calories?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:21 am 

Well, Faisal, I read your other post, so I take it you're trying to lean out while building some muscle. With that in mind, I'd go with Ironman's recommendation and just use water and save the money. In your case, I don't really think you need to try and do any of the insulin spiking things fruits and sugars do (and they are present in coconut milk). Now, If you didn't care about staying lean, just trying to slap on some weight and muscle, I'd maybe keep the coconut milk and give it a try.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:51 am 
Rookie
Rookie

thanks Tim, no more coconut for me. But any comment on my diet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:44 pm 
i disagree with tim and ironman
post workout carbs are as important as the protien
if you are on a low carb diet still take in a good dose of simple carbs after your workout with your whey protien
the simple carbs stimulate an insulin responce---insulin is very anabolic!!!
they also shove all those nutrients that your muscles are starving for into the cells

i dont know about coconut juice but, a bannana or orange or even sugar will work wonders after a workout

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:51 pm 
Insulin also stores fat. It can cause other problems too. If you are thin and bulking, you need the carbs. If that is not the case, they are counterproductive. Why would you want to increase your fat storing ability and give your body something that can be stored quickly and easily if you want to drop some fat? Thats like digging a hole and then shoveling most of the dirt back in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:00 pm 

I'll take it a bit farther , Ironman. Look, the workout itself sets up a gh output, i.e. fat burning, muscle repair, etc. You want to keep that output of gh going, and not mess with it, yet get some material back into your system. Protein fills the bill. A little bit (about 25-30 gr ) of low GI won't wreck the balance either, and might be a good idea. The idea is that you do NOT want a sharp rise in blood sugar, because it will open the gates to insulin. Insulin is a storage hormone, and will shut down gh production. In Faisal's case, he is not looking for extra bulk, but is looking to lean out. If he was just after more mass, well then I would agree with you as to the simple sugars post W.O.
Tim