ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: green tea?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:32 am 
Rookie
Rookie

hi can any body please tell me the benifits of having green tea? should it be taken for fat loss? how many time should it be taken a day and can i club it with whey protein? when is the best time to have it? i normally take 2 scoobs of whey. half before workout and one and a hAlf post workout along woth glucon d!! is it suitble for me to have green tea??
PLS HELP ME

( WOULD IT HELP ME WHILE DOING CARDIO?)[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green tea won't help with that. oolong does, but it is to a very small extent.

Green tea is still good for you though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:06 am 

Green Tea does actually promote fat oxidization, however this likely wont affect you unless you are doing some form of sub-maximal exertion well below your anaerobic threshold for longer than 2-3 hours (depending on your anaerobic threshold, lactate response, glycogen stores, fat burning efficiency of your muscles etc).

For example, I do adventure races, the shortest of which was 6hours this year.

As a test during a training session for these races my team tried taking a shot of olive oil after 2 hours work (to trick the body into thinking more fat would come) and began drinking cold green tea with lots of maltodextrose and some electrolytes. It ddidn't seem to work any better than plain CHO drink, but did make me dehydrate as it tasted bloody awful so I didn't drink enough.

I think if you drink a couple of cups during the day it wont hurt. just remember to make it with non-boiling water (mix a bit of cold water in) otherwise you just burn the leaves and it turns bitter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:21 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Hey, as it says in Precision Nutrition - 1billion Chinese can't be wrong!

Of Course i'm talking about the overall health benefit here, and not it's ability to burn fat. As far as I understand it 'helps' but i doubt it's something you'll actually see in the mirror or on the scales. Best to look at it as helping indirectly, I think.

Personally, I have about 4-5 cups per day.

And a lot of members of PN use it in their shakes - why not? Anything to get little more goodness...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I saw research saying that it turns out green tea doesn't help with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:12 am 
Rookie
Rookie

hmmm so do u mean that i shall have green tea, theres no harm just a little but more to good health? so when should i have it? pre or post workout and how much? it wouldnt lead to side effects? i read an article somewhere which says fat burners like green tea shouldnt be mixed with protein suppliments they tend to nullify eachother? so wats the best way to burn fat?

hmmm one more thing i wanted to ask wats an ideal dinner? pls it should be veg?
thnx a lot guys....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:04 am 

kunalbh wrote:
hmmm so do u mean that i shall have green tea, theres no harm just a little but more to good health? so when should i have it? pre or post workout and how much? it wouldnt lead to side effects? i read an article somewhere which says fat burners like green tea shouldnt be mixed with protein suppliments they tend to nullify eachother? so wats the best way to burn fat?

hmmm one more thing i wanted to ask wats an ideal dinner? pls it should be veg?
thnx a lot guys....

Did the article say HOW green tea and protein supplements nullify each other? This makes no sense to me. So protein keeps green tea from "burning fat" and the tea keeps protein from supplying amino acids for muscle repair? How?

The best way to burn fat is to decrease calories (particularly those from carbohydrates) in your diet and to exercise more.

An ideal dinner contains a balance of high-quality protein (meat and/or eggs), fruit and vegetables, and fat. If you LIKE green tea, it includes green tea, but otherwise forget it. Green tea will not do the work for you.

Post subject: Green Tea Extract
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:15 am 
Green Tea Extract is an excellent source of potent, bioflavonoid rich compounds that are high in polyphenols, which are a special class of bioflavonoids. Catechins, and in particular (-) Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG), is the most important polyphenol and has the strongest antioxidant action. Research has shown that EGCG is more powerful than vitamin E in neutralizing free radicals.

An interesting, yet little known, fact about Green Tea is that it is rich in fluoride and therefore can Enhance reduce tooth decay. Green Tea Extract has also been successfully used in the Favorable Effects of respiratory and digestive related conditions and to boost Defense mechanism of body function.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:33 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

personally, I don't care about any of that herbal stuff. I'd much rather focus on my Essential nutrients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:01 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

From what I understand, green tea contains minimal amounts of caffeine. I've read anywhere from 3mg to 30mg. By comparison, a can of coke contains roughly 34mg, and a cup of coffee contains nearly 100mg, sometimes more.

My opinion, and to respond to your questions in part, is that drinking green tea prior to a work-out can be beneficial because of its stimulant effect related to the caffeine content. Personally, I mix lipton green tea, single serving packets in bottled water prior to a work-out, as it contains around 50mg and makes me more alert.