ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:12 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

What would be the best time to take them?

Also when does the body use certain vitamins? Like vitamin C, does it use it at night more so than during the day?

I think that night would be the best time to take supplements because our body does allot of repair work during our sleep.

I know that vitamins and minerals interact and sometimes impede absorption and so taking a bunch of viatmins at night before bed wouldn't be that good.

Also Fat soluble viatmins are stored right? so it would make sense to not bother taking in supplements at night, if we ate a good source of vegetables during the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:40 pm 

Quote:
What would be the best time to take them?

Morning, night, whenever, use with protein shake with post workout to aid w/ absorption.
Quote:
Also when does the body use certain vitamins? Like vitamin C, does it use it at night more so than during the day?
Ugh, they are probably used during all time of the day. Metabolic processes do not suddenly stop or start during specific parts of the day. Recovery occurs while sleeping and awake.

Quote:
I think that night would be the best time to take supplements because our body does allot of repair work during our sleep.

Nope
Quote:
I know that vitamins and minerals interact and sometimes impede absorption and so taking a bunch of viatmins at night before bed wouldn't be that good.
Your contradicting yourself and that doesn't make sense. They will impede with each other no matter when you take them during the day. If you take individual vitamins then take ones that affect each other absorption at different parts fo the day. Ex Take iron and vitamin C in the morning and take zinc at a different time, etc.

Quote:
Also Fat soluble viatmins are stored right? so it would make sense to not bother taking in supplements at night, if we ate a good source of vegetables during the day.
You're really confusing me.

Your thought processes are confusing me a bit.

-Its best to take them at night right?--->No... they interefere with each others absorption so I shouldn't take them at night--->No... don't take at night since veggies provide vitamins and minerals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:57 am 
n00b
n00b

I recently started with taking calcium and iron supplements because my physician said that I am lacking them. Additionally I am taking vitamins constantly because I am of the opinion that this will help my body to stay healthy.
I always take the calcium and iron supplements in the morning and the vitamins spread over the day. For me personally this is the best way to take all of them because if I would take them all at once I get stomachache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:50 pm 

As long as it isn't costing too much you should fine, but vitamins are needed in such small quantites it's hard to actually get deficient through western diet. But like you said your physician advised you about the Calcium. Calcium actually inhibits iron absorption so I wouldn't take them together and also fibre inhibits Calcium and Iron absorption, just something to note if you have a high fibre diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:07 am 
Novice
Novice

Actually the three things almost everybody is deficient are
Vitamin D3, K2 and Magnesium.

Very few people know that if they get Vitamin D3, the calcium supplementation will not be required. Because it will facilitate its absorption.

Vitamin K2 is required because it regulates Vitamin D3 and Vitamin A. Without it they don't function as well as they should.

Magnesium is required for a number of processes in our body. It is an important anti-oxidant. If it is there a number of other things will not be required.