ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:51 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

That's why the 'opposite' rule generally works for, well, everything. I think it was Poliquin that first mentioned this, but who knows. Anyway,

Do the opposite from 'everyone else', and you'll do better than them. Examples,

Most people eat a diet low in protein, fat, and high in carbs. So, increase your protein, fat, and lower your carbs. Drill it down some more - Most people eat a diet high in Trans fats, but low in the healthy fats (saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated), therefore, get your fat from the healthy kind, and limit trans fats. (Actually just avoid transfats all together, but 'limiting' them makes the whole opposites thing work better).

Most people get most of their fluid from calories containing drinks. So, drink water, or green tea.

Most people do long duration, low intensity cardio to 'lose fat'. Therefore, do stuff that is short in time, and high in intensity.

Most people run to get fit. So, get fit to run (if you want to run at all, that is).

Most use primarily machines (in commercial gyms), so, you should use primarily free weights.

Most do excessive amounts of isolation exercises, so, you should do a limited amount of them.

Most people avoid squats and deadlifts, so, learn to love squats and deadlifts...

Most people eat 2-3 meals per day. So, eat 5-6 (or more) meals per day.

It could go on forever...

Most people chat for ages, read magazines, talk/text on their phone whilst in the gym. Therefore, just shut up and lift, and leave the phone in the locker.

Most people do 3 x 8. So, do 8 x 3.

etc
etc
etc
etc

The worlds ignorance can actually come in handy. If you're in doubt, just think, "does everyone else do this", if the answer is "yes", then it's probably not a good idea...

:grin:

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:37 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I don't think carbs are the enemy at all. I think what Stu is pointing out is that use the starches sparingly, as they are nutrient sparse and calorie dense in relation to the fibrous vegetables and fruits. No need for total elimination.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:47 pm 

yeah tim you're quite right, i put 'enemy' in quotes to try and indicate that they weren't really the enemy, but maybe the main culprit in a poor diet.

personally carbs are my friend, since I've started actually paying attention to macronutrients I've put on more weight in the last year or so than i did in the 4 years of training I had done previously.

And KPj what you're saying is very true, if i worked out the way everyone else in my gym did it'd be bench and curls all day... but i digress, this is a topic that's been discussed many times.

...having said that though the looks i get doing a dumbell snatch in my gym are amazing, i actually had someone run away yesterday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:02 pm 

robertscott wrote:
there's so much to learn about this. I don't get why the whole world is so down on fats when it's carbs that are the 'enemy'.

I remember when i was just a kid at school when we were learning about different foods, carbs like rice and potatoes were called the 'filler' because they were supposed to be the part of the meal that filled you up after you'd got your protein form the meat and your nutrients from the veg. And now i hear that protein and fats fill you up more!

It's insane how wrong the general population seems to be about everything

Read Gary Taube's book. This is all explained. Momentum of an idea is very hard to overcome. Often, you have to wait for the generation that owns the idea to die off so the next generation can get on with the new paridigm. The other issue is with politics. Once polititions get involved with science, it freezes the idea that is decided upon. From then on, any discussion to the contrary is discouraged and the status quo becomes unassailable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:08 am 

robertscott wrote:
...having said that though the looks i get doing a dumbell snatch in my gym are amazing, i actually had someone run away yesterday!

HAHA! Must of been hilarious. I had some people who were behind me clearly disgusted when I was doing it but they never actually ran away. Would be great to get that in slow motion....

On saturday, I actually got told by a member of staff that, "we're actually used to you doing all your weird stuff now. We don't even laugh at you anymore. Well, some times we have a little chuckle, but generally we don't even notice now".

(I was benching with a foam roller up my t-shirt at the time.)

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:31 am 

it was a bit melodramatic to be honest, the guy wasn't even that close to me at the time...

why were you benching with a foam roller up your shirt? Was it like a board press type thing or do you just like the feel of foam?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:44 am 

I had someone wondering why I kept walking arround with all the heavy dumbbells. Why couldn't I use them where they were. He finally figured out that was the exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:24 am 

is that a farmer's walk you're talking about stuward? I've never tried that although I've always wanted to.

I've had loads of people criticise my 'form' for completely the wrong exercise. Was doing shoulder raises to try and strengthen my serratus and this guy was like "Man your bench is all wrong!"

That's why i never comment on anyone's form unless they ask me to, I don't want to be one of those guys who knows nothing but goes around giving everyone advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:49 pm 

robertscott wrote:
is that a farmer's walk you're talking about stuward? I've never tried that although I've always wanted to.

Lots of fun, works the whole body and destroys your forarms. I find dumbbells awkward though. They don't balance well. Better to use kettlebells or actual implements if your gym has them. Mine doesn't.

robertscott wrote:
I've had loads of people criticise my 'form' for completely the wrong exercise. Was doing shoulder raises to try and strengthen my serratus and this guy was like "Man your bench is all wrong!"

I was doing military presses a while ago and a trainer suggested I use a split stance as it would give me better stability and leg drive. I said "Then it wouldn't be a military press, would it?" He shut up and went away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:05 am 

robertscott wrote:
why were you benching with a foam roller up your shirt? Was it like a board press type thing or do you just like the feel of foam?

Yes, pretty much. You don't get bits of wood in my gym to do board presses so we use whatever is lying around. I'm also generally messing around with the foam thing. Not to mention I just like the feeling of foam. Seriously, though, I think it would help blasting off the chest without actually benching from the chest, if that makes sense. Bring the bar down to the foam, let it sink in, and it's strangely difficult to get the bar moving. Don't ask me how effective it is, as I don't really know, only really just trying it out. I read it about it, somewhere, also seen similar tricks with Box Squatting - sit on a big bit of foam which is on top of the box.

BTW - People telling you your form is all wrong when they clearly don't know what you're doing, also telling you things like, "you're going to wreck your - insert joint - if you keep doing that" - these comments are generally a good sign.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:05 am 

the problem with doing a farmers walk at my gym is that although the gym itself is huge, the room with the dumbells is relatively tiny, and generally pretty full so I couldn't do it. There's loads of exercises I'd like to try but can't purely because of my gym. What's worse is i live beside a virgin active gym which i had a look around once and it was amazing, but came in at [1 million dollars] a month, even with a student discount. Can't afford it. Sob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:17 am 

KPj wrote:
BTW - People telling you your form is all wrong when they clearly don't know what you're doing, also telling you things like, "you're going to wreck your - insert joint - if you keep doing that" - these comments are generally a good sign.
KPj

ya, I had a guy at the gym tell me I was going to hurt my back doing dumb bell presses one arm at a time instead of in unison. Something about messing up core balance. >.<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:09 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

You could use one of thos evil machines you find in the gyms all over the world called 'treadmills' to do farmer walks on: just grab 2 dumbbells and walk on the machine.
Just be sure not to trip or you'll fall pretty hard (never done it, just an idea)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:15 am 

that's actually a pretty good shout Wouter, that would never have occured to me. I could even try a farmer's jog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:35 am 

It's pretty hard to reach the stop button when you have a heavy dumbbell in each hand.