ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Movie about fat
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:45 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Good movie about fat. Comes from the movie "Fathead".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flLwKQGm ... r_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:44 pm 

Ok I am sorta confused. I thought all we had to worry about nowadays was trans fats. So now we have to worry about plant fats as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:56 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

lol!! that biochemist looks scary!

I thought Canola oil was actually fine and all that scare about it being unhealthy was BS?

although i still wouldnt use it.

Coconut, Olive and Sunflower oil are the best, my opinion.
Sat Mono Poly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:04 am 

In the beginning, people ate meat. The fat came with the meat. The best parts were the fattiest, bone marrow, etc. That where the saturated fats come from. That's what we were meant to eat. Omega 3 is another fat that we are biologically suited for. Omega 3 is the most common fat in the world. It's in grass, algae and most other plants at the bottom of the food chain. It accumulated in animals that eat those green plants. It's not in seeds with minor exceptions. Seed oil is a processed food that is low in both saturated fat an omega 3. Some plants have oil in their flesh like olives, coconuts, nuts and avocados. These don't have to be processed to extract oil, you just press it.

It all comes back to "eat real food". Seed oils of any type, are not real foods.

Post subject: Re: Movie about fat
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:16 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

stuward wrote:
Good movie about fat. Comes from the movie "Fathead".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flLwKQGm ... r_embedded

Stu,

It is a good movie. I have no doubt that the vegetable industry "demonized" saturated fats to pad their pockets.

Another reason is the public wants a quick, simple answer. The public requires that they be fully educated with one sentence.

However, a sentence is even TOO much information for the public at times. They prefer a YES or NO answer.

"Are saturated fats good or bad? Yes or No." Discussion over.

I see this every day in selling fitness equipment. The most common queston that I get is, "Which is the best piece of workout equipment"?

I equate that to a patient going into see a doctor. They are sick. Before the doctor can find out what's makeing them sick, they ask, "Which is the best perscription medication"?

In regard to Conoila Oil, Johnny Bowden (nurtitionist) refers to it as "con-ola". http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... tion_vol_7

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:49 pm 

stuward wrote:
In the beginning, people ate meat. The fat came with the meat. The best parts were the fattiest, bone marrow, etc. That where the saturated fats come from. That's what we were meant to eat. Omega 3 is another fat that we are biologically suited for. Omega 3 is the most common fat in the world. It's in grass, algae and most other plants at the bottom of the food chain. It accumulated in animals that eat those green plants. It's not in seeds with minor exceptions. Seed oil is a processed food that is low in both saturated fat an omega 3. Some plants have oil in their flesh like olives, coconuts, nuts and avocados. These don't have to be processed to extract oil, you just press it.

It all comes back to "eat real food". Seed oils of any type, are not real foods.

So I have another question on this subject...nut oils like peanut, walnut, almond, cashew, etc are ok then? I like olive and avocado, but I despise coconut oil. Tastes too much like coconut, which I hate. I also do not really like butter either (I know its weird, just not a big fan). But I like to top certain foods with like tuna with oils and just wondering what to use. Oh and what about flax seed oils then? Heard good things about it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:27 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

fyi, the peanut is not a nut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:43 pm 

Nutritionally it is pretty much a nut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:20 am 
Novice
Novice

"just wondering what to use"

You could use leaf lard. That is a flavor neutral fat.

Flaxseed oil will not a good option. It is so unstable that you must press it yourself and keep it away from even sunlight and keep it refridgerated.
You may continue to use Olive, its not bad at all. Lard is best for cooking.

You may want to stay away from nut oils also. They are not exactly low in PUFA and Omega 6.

Disclaimer: Haven't used lard ever. Just read on the websites.