ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atherosclerosis
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:21 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I went to my doctor today and my mom told him to tell me to stop eating so much fat.

And My doctor said, yes its very bad for you you have a history of Atherosclerosis, and he told me that basically all fat is bad for me.

I asked him if my grandparents ate allot of red meat and he said no...

This makes me wonder if fat is actually the problem. My family eats tons of carbs! and little excersise, Which could result in the carbs converting into fat causing Atherosclerosis. Anyone else think this could be it?

lol im going to schedule a blood test and after it im going to tell him that i ate 1.5lbs of ground beef in one sitting.

Post subject: Re: Atherosclerosis
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:03 am 

Jebus wrote:
Anyone else think this could be it?

Yep!

Just say "yes sir," nod politely, then do what you know is best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:12 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

exactly what I did. Also my doctor had a cold lol. Im not saying that he should be immune from sickness but i think it's sort of ironic. He's also overweight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:26 am 

Be prepared for the blood work. If you maintain a high meat, eggs and fish diet and limit Omega 6, your health will improve, your tricycerides will drop and your HDLs will go up. Good so far. However, your LDLs ("bad" cholestrol) may go up as well. This will send up a red flag for your doctor. Just say "yes sir," nod politely, then do what you know is best. There is no proven link between high LDLs and heart desease although conventional medicne says otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:33 am 
Novice
Novice

Actually there is a relation but that does not come out unless you get a lipid NMR. It is related to small sized LDL, which high carb eaters have.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/searc ... holesterol

The above site is a good place to know about LDL cholesterol. Its quite a bit confusing thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:31 am 

stuward wrote:
Be prepared for the blood work. If you maintain a high meat, eggs and fish diet and limit Omega 6, your health will improve, your tricycerides will drop and your HDLs will go up. Good so far. However, your LDLs ("bad" cholestrol) may go up as well. This will send up a red flag for your doctor. Just say "yes sir," nod politely, then do what you know is best. There is no proven link between high LDLs and heart desease although conventional medicne says otherwise.

Further to this, this blog explains the "reason" your LDL's may appear to go up.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/weig ... -the-myth/

Basically the LDL level is a calculated number and it doesn't work for people with high HDL and low trigicerides, like most people on low carb diets.

This Blog puts in in simpler terms: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... tacks.html

Stu