ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:22 am 
Novice
Novice

Is the response i got from three local fishmongers the other day, and i won't repeat what the butcher said when i asked for grass fed beef!

So my problem is this, i currently do not drive, i live in Ireland, and let's just say most of the people i talk to look at me very oddly when i talk about my diet, "no potatoes?! But you have to have a feed of shpuds wit yor dinnor" (generic irish accent)

None of the butchers i can get to know what grass finished beef is, fishmongers are stupid, and the organic section of most supermarkets/markets is like the dirty little secret that nobody mentions.

i have been buying wild alaskan red and pink tinned salmon (not sure of the difference to be honest!!!) and was wondering is this okay as i have scoured the county for any salmon, fresh/frozen or otherwise that isn't farmed to no avail, i couldn't find articles comparing the qualities of tinned salmon compared with fresh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:54 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

In Ireland? In regars to salmon, I would think you'd have a big choice. When I shipped out of Glasgow, Scotland, we were on the piers, and hey had local fish dealers getting stuff straight from the boats. Loads of choice, both raw, smoked, peppered, whatever. I can't imagine it would be terribly different in Ireland. I really fell in love with the peppered mackerel over there.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:05 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

allot of the meat shops i went to didnt know what grass fed beef was either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:13 pm 
Novice
Novice

Unfortunately i'm not lucky enough to live in one of the port towns which as you say Tim, are well regarded for the selection and quality of fresh produce, i'm in the midlands and shops/markets are the only choices i have, and they aint great! Unless you want 50kg bags of potatoes or bricks of fudge that would sink a battleship!!!

I'm good friends with a local farmer too who works in cattle breeding, he services 90% of the farms within reasonable distance and he asked around for me, no luck on the grass finishing thing, there's apparently just no call for it here, or not enough to warrant any of them getting into it, so i guess i'm stuck