ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:59 am 
Novice
Novice

Well I am back. I had been experimenting with the normal type of diets, eating every 3 hours. I had stuck at 85Kgs and then moved up to about 88Kg.

Now I finally know the problem. It is carbohydrates ;-). After reading a number of sites at Wholehealthsource and freetheanimal. I have come to the understanding of why our body behaves the way it does.

I cannot go truly primal because my wife is a vegetarian.

So I have done some adaptations.

My breakfast is
1/2 litre milk and 3 eggs mostly fried or omlette in Butter. Sometimes some uttapam (pancakes of fermented rice and lentil batter) or poha (a dish made with flattened puffed rice).

My lunch is
Some vegetables cooked in mustard or ghee. Chicken cooked in a bad way by our friendly office canteen. And some raw (low sweetness) fruits and vegetables.

My dinner is
The normal vegetarian stuff.
White Rice or Dosas (crepes of fermented rice and lentil batter) or on rare days flat bread, with lentil soup (dal) and some vegetables.

Basically I have upped my fat consumption a whole lot, and reduced my carb consumption a lot, with lots of good animal fats.

I have done this for the last 3 months, and I have lost at least 6Kgs. I am now down to 80Kgs. I can't attribute this loss to anything else but diet. I still have about 6 Kgs to go. This is the first time I am seeing any reduction in my belly ;-).

I stick to 3 meals a day and don't do any snacking, to provide me with a longer fasting phase.

I have also started doing Intermittent Fasting. I don't do it regularly, but about once in a week.

I have also started consuming 2.5gms of Cod Liver Oil for the Omega 3. This is the only variety available in India, at decent rates. I don't take it more because of high vitamin A in COL.

I am waiting for my Vitamin D3 and K2 supplementation that I had ordered from US. These I have understood are of the most importance. I will be able to increase the COL when I have K2, as it is known to reduce Vitamin A toxicity, by regulating it.

I am also looking for a way to fix Magnesium and Iodine sources. I am thinking of getting Iodine in a different way (may be lugol's solution), and getting magnesium by replacing sodium salt with sea salt, which contains magnesium in a good ratio.

In India, it is a real problem getting any decent supplementation. They only believe in selling B complex and Iron ;-).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:00 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Eat some red meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:32 am 

Other than iodized salt, the best source for iodine is kelp. http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=fo ... =135#descr

Around here it's normally sold as Dulse but in Japan there are many varieties of seaweeds. You may be able to find some where you live.

You should increase your fish consumption. Taking a can of Sockeye Salmon to work and avoiding the fried chicken would be a good move. It would supply your omega 3 needs. For your vegetarian meals, just downplay the rice and starch and eat more veg and legumes. You will fill up faster and minimize the carbs.

Good job so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:55 am 
Novice
Novice

The problem with red meat is, that its difficult to find in a sacred cow country. Even pork is a problem with worlds maximum muslims being in India.

I do try to get mutton sometimes. But you get it only in Biryani (ie with rice and lots of refined oil (high in Omega 6 a big no no for me). Its also much more expensive, so if you buy prepared you are going to get only bones and no meat.

Chicken is the only one I can get in the cafetaria.

Getting fish is also difficult unless you want it fried with lots of starch in palmolein oil.

Its difficult to cook at home, my wife being vegetarian. I am trying to cook some liver sometimes, because it is the most nutritious part. And if I am going to eat something only ones a week it better be the best.

I am getting fish oil, which is probably the only real solution. My wife finds fish smell to be horrible. At least she is not religious about it and has agreed to take fish oil capsules. They are three times as expensive as the plain oil.

Kelp is a good source, and I can probably get it here, but I don't know how much to take at a time, to get the recommended 150mcg. I believe it will not be very consistent. Still if I could get some ball park numbers I could try to stay around the limit.

Legumes are great, but if I eat too much without balancing it with rice, I get gas. So I take it only in limit quantities. I understand now that I am also a bit gluten insensitive, as I get gas when I eat wheat.

So the only option left is millet or rice. Using millet is a bit of a pain, and rice is super easy. So you can guess what gets used.

What I understood from the Whole Health Source Blog, from the example of Kitavans, that Starch is not a problem as long as you don't have leptin resistance. Leptin resistance is caused by Fructose, so I have reduced as much as I can, except for low sweet fruits. Also Insulin resistance causes weight accumulation, if carbs are more, so I am reducing as much carb as possible.

But I am married to a vegetarian, so have to eat what both can eat most of the time. So rice is becoming our staple, from the previous staple wheat. Its not that bad, I am losing a lot of fat. So getting rid of starch completely should not be a requirement.

I don't eat so much carbs really. It must not be more than 200gms per day. Some days it is much lesser. Since I sometimes fast, and when eating out I generally go for the grilled chicken, the dish with the least unhealthy fats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How about goat? I love a good goat curry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:50 am 
Novice
Novice

I do try mutton (goat meat) sometimes. I do like mutton curry quite a lot. But most restaurants will serve cooked in Refined oil, with lots and lots of gravy. Also the portions for Mutton tend to be very little. So you try to only pick out mutton pieces from the curry, its going to be a very small meal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:24 am 

anandsr21 wrote:
I do try mutton (goat meat) sometimes. I do like mutton curry quite a lot. But most restaurants will serve cooked in Refined oil, with lots and lots of gravy. Also the portions for Mutton tend to be very little. So you try to only pick out mutton pieces from the curry, its going to be a very small meal.

I was confused since Mutton is sheep meat, but now I've learned that in some places it also refers to goat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat_meat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:32 pm 

Eat more nuts. I don't know how it is in India but alot of different Chinese places I go to here in america they cook some entrees with peanuts (yes I know a legume), cashews, etc. Maybe just try less starch and more nuts in those dishes...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:30 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Try looking up Bill Pearl, and see if you can find anything regarding what he did in terms of diet. He competed against Arnold in the Earlier stages of Arnold's Career and was a Champion bodybuilder.....and a vegetarian.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/weis18.htm this is a good article, and you can find more by simply googling "bill pearl diet."

Hope this helped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was confused about mutton too. Here mutton is just sheep and goat is different.